Unreal Engine 5 Preview 1 Released With Rendering Improvements & More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unreal Engine 5 Preview 1 Released With Rendering Improvements & More

Phoronix: Unreal Engine 5 Preview 1 Released With Rendering Improvements & More

While not immediately relevant to Linux gamers, Epic Games has promoted Unreal Engine 5 from its "early access" phase to now being available in "preview" form for this popular, cross-platform game engine...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I've never seen so many Linux native engines being wasted such way. Hopefully if the Steam Deck ends up being a success this will change one day.
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

There has been some success in building Unreal Engine 5 early access releases on Linux, but there can be headaches around the Epic Games Launcher integration, not all of the new rendering features being supported by the Vulkan API, and Linux overall remaining a back-seat focus for Epic Games.
      Hopefully someone knows more about this.
      Do these Linux housekeeping improvements come from Epic themselves, or is it the community hacking on the proprietary, shared source code available under CLA?
      What are Epic's contribution standards? Doesn't contributing to Unreal Engine "taint" future contributions to open source engines such as Godot?
      Thanks and have a nice day.

Comment

I'm just gonna leave it here:

Comment

While UE surely can look great, it never delivered good performance to me. I first came in contact with that many years ago when all I had was a mediocre notebook with dedicated GPU. While the game seemed to run fine with acceptable frame-rate, the game experienced extreme input latency to the point of making the game completely unplayable. Now with the modern high end hardware I have access to, I still feel higher latency, even though the game easily runs over double the screen sync rate on maximal settings.

I never played Forklift, the currently most popular UE game, but from what I have seen, its not better in that regard.

Comment

Whats the issue with UE 5 EA? Does work pretty well for me, except for some addons:

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
              While UE surely can look great, it never delivered good performance to me.
              Not even close to CryEngine in term of graphics and performance for me, but still far better than Unity.

Comment

I never played a single UE4 native Linux game.

Comment

Epic removed Linux support for Rocket League. They don't care about Linux at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Monsterovich View Post
                    I never played a single UE4 native Linux game.
                    Try Splitgate.

Comment

Working...
                    X