Further Investigating The Raspberry Pi 32-bit vs. 64-bit Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Further Investigating The Raspberry Pi 32-bit vs. 64-bit Performance

Phoronix: Further Investigating The Raspberry Pi 32-bit vs. 64-bit Performance

Finally released earlier this month was the first official 64-bit build of Raspberry Pi OS, the official Debian-based operating system of the low-cost Raspberry Pi single board computers. Following that I posted some Raspberry Pi 32-bit vs. 64-bit benchmarks. Given that generated a fair amount of interest and also some open questions, here is round two of looking at the Raspberry Pi 32-bit vs. 64-bit performance including its impact on memory usage and thermals.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Again, compelling reasons for 64bit. A huge upgrade in performance for zero outlay.

Comment

Originally posted by MorrisS.
      Hi. Is 32bit platform still used to day?
      As far as I know, a lot.
      Basically, all of the non 8GB versions are running 32 bit OS. The performance advantage wasn't obvious.

And maybe if you didn't see it, the official 64 bit version was announced very recently.

Comment

I think this is the kind of use where either x32 or simply having a few spins with different optimization levels could be useful. Very limited aim (only a few models of RPi around), and no need for pointer bloat for the 4GiB editions. Same can be done for different generations.

Comment

The memory usage seems like a big downside on the lower spec models. Even on my 4GB model (which runs headless as a home automation server) I don't see a good reason to go to 64-bit after reading this review.

I have a Pi 2 (not 64 bit capable, but demonstrates the point) running the unifi controller at my parents. It has 1 GB RAM if I recall correctly, and it frequently ends up swapping. So I can't imagine the 64 bit build being usable on 1 GB models.

Comment

AFAICT the difference is a bit bigger than it should be. I wonder if there are some constant factors playing into it? The charts certainly show a constant min/max offset. Is that reserved memory like CMA that ends up with a bigger default allocation on 64 bit maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by Vorpal View Post
              I have a Pi 2 (not 64 bit capable, but demonstrates the point) running the unifi controller at my parents. It has 1 GB RAM if I recall correctly, and it frequently ends up swapping. So I can't imagine the 64 bit build being usable on 1 GB models.
              Exact same situation except with a Pi3, with unifi plus homeassistant at my parents. zram helps quite a bit. I also limit max memory usage of the docker containers. I've burnt trough one SD card at least due to swapping (especially during backups). IIRC, I'm on a 64-bit system. This article certainly makes me reconsider. I might go to a 32bit one, or use an old phone with more than 1G of RAM+postmarketos...
              I've also considered building my own usb adapter to swap on old DDR sticks... I'm going to look up if that exists :P

Comment

Originally posted by sinepgib View Post
                I think this is the kind of use where either x32 or simply having a few spins with different optimization levels could be useful. Very limited aim (only a few models of RPi around), and no need for pointer bloat for the 4GiB editions. Same can be done for different generations.

It's actually the perfect use case.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                  Phoronix: Further Investigating The Raspberry Pi 32-bit vs. 64-bit Performance

Finally released earlier this month was the first official 64-bit build of Raspberry Pi OS, the official Debian-based operating system of the low-cost Raspberry Pi single board computers. Following that I posted some Raspberry Pi 32-bit vs. 64-bit benchmarks. Given that generated a fair amount of interest and also some open questions, here is round two of looking at the Raspberry Pi 32-bit vs. 64-bit performance including its impact on memory usage and thermals.

https://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=30916
                  Hi Michael, I am confused by the test setup documentation. I understand that you ran all tests on the same hardware, but the 32-bit configuration reports BCM2711 based motherboard, while the 64-bit configuration reports BCM2835. Also, you're clearly stating above that you're comparing the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Raspbian - yet the 64-bit configuration reports as Debian.
                  I missed this in the original article, but the configurations are documented the same there. I didn't see a comment in either article.

Can anyone explain these differences?

Much appreciated,
                  - J.

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post

Exact same situation except with a Pi3, with unifi plus homeassistant at my parents. zram helps quite a bit. I also limit max memory usage of the docker containers. I've burnt trough one SD card at least due to swapping (especially during backups). IIRC, I'm on a 64-bit system. This article certainly makes me reconsider. I might go to a 32bit one, or use an old phone with more than 1G of RAM+postmarketos...
                    I've also considered building my own usb adapter to swap on old DDR sticks... I'm going to look up if that exists :P
                    You are running more things on that device than me, so different situation, but consider using a larger SD card. I used a fast/high end (at the time) 64 GB microsd from SanDisk that I had lying around (my new phone didn't have a microsd slot). It doesn't need to be nearly that large, but it results in spare capacity for wear leveling.

I'm going to try zswap or zram on it though (thanks for that idea), seems like a good plan.

Comment

Working...
                    X