Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA 510.54 Linux Driver Released

Phoronix: NVIDIA 510.54 Linux Driver Released

Two weeks ago NVIDIA released the 510.47.03 Linux driver as their first stable driver in the 510 series. Today that has been succeded by the NVIDIA 510.54 stable update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hm, I think I've been hit by that bug. I minimized some windows and they never came back. Didn't see any error message, I thought it was just Plasma refusing to bring the windows back.

Comment

i even hit a more fatal bug, that i bought a laptop with nvidia gpu , that was biggest bug in my life

Comment

Wake me up when video acceleration and gsync work in wayland and I can run games with gamescope.

Comment

Originally posted by tehehe View Post
          Wake me up when video acceleration (..) in wayland
          It works, it's just not very good in practice (to put it very mildly).
          Only thing that isn't accelerated these days is X11 EGL backends in XWayland. I wonder what's the status about that.

Comment

there isn't much of a need to upgrade at this time.
            Well, of course there isn't. Who's even expecting NVIDIA to put a worthy upgrade anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by usta View Post
              i even hit a more fatal bug, that i bought a laptop with nvidia gpu , that was biggest bug in my life
              In your defence...there is not much of a choice. All AMD even worse to get.

Comment

What's wrong with that? Optimus works pretty well nowadays in every possible configuration (PRIME/revese PRIME/render offload etc.) and if you don't like it you can just use the iGPU and not even install the driver. Usually you can even drive a second monitor with the iGPU through a USB-C->HDMI adapter if the HDMI port is wired to Nvidia.
                Plus, now your beefy Nvidia GPU is left over for use in a VM, which is something that is officially supported now. Or on-dand compute workloads if that's more your style.
                YMMV, but I'm quite happy with my laptop.

Comment

They are fixing their driver for KDE Plasma?
                  LOL!
                  If it weren't for KDE Plasma to be so beloved and big and their developers to stand their ground against Nvidia's bullshit, there wouldn't be any GBM and Wayland support even today.
                  Congratulations to KDE developers for standing their ground against shitty behavior of Russia (Nvidia) when others bent over!
                  Now it would be nice if Nvidia would work on bringing HDR support for their users, it seems that AMD doesn't care too much about that.

Comment

Your first mistake was installing Linux on it. Other than that NVIDIA works just fine.

Your second mistake was buying a laptop with a discrete GPU - they all suck even under Windows.

Your third mistake was trying to look smug however it came off cheap and lame.

Comment

Working...
                    X