Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convenient Intel PPIN Reporting To Come With Linux 5.18

Phoronix: Convenient Intel PPIN Reporting To Come With Linux 5.18

With the Linux 5.18 kernel coming later this year, the Intel Protected Processor Inventory Number (PPIN) will be more easily exposed for their server processors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Since the server reason is given, it this only for server CPUs?

Comment

Sounds like some fingerprinting that I do not want.

Comment

Didn't we already have another unique CPU ID, so this a second one?

Comment

Wiki: Processor Serial Number (redirects to Pentium III: Controversy about privacy issues)

Equivalent feature was so controversial in 1999 Pentium III processors, that Intel was forced to remove it.

This feature (PPIN) was later added back in Intel's Ivy Bridge and AMD's Zen 2.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Sounds like some fingerprinting that I do not want.
            Not to worry, this is only accessible to authorized users

Edit: And more seriously, I fail to see the benefit. Surely there's a better way to identify a physical processor on a multisocket board than having to remove all the cooling, remove all the heat paste, etc. just to check the label...

Comment

Originally posted by catpig View Post

Not to worry, this is only accessible to authorized users

Edit: And more seriously, I fail to see the benefit. Surely there's a better way to identify a physical processor on a multisocket board than having to remove all the cooling, remove all the heat paste, etc. just to check the label...
              I don't want software to query the PPIN on my CPU to build a fingerprint.

Comment

Working...
              X