Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa's "Dozen" Close To Providing Vulkan Over Direct3D 12

Phoronix: Mesa's "Dozen" Close To Providing Vulkan Over Direct3D 12

Not only is Microsoft after having OpenGL and OpenCL layered atop Direct3D 12 for usage by Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL2) or where the host has no native GL/CL drivers available, but they are also after Vulkan support on top of D3D12. It's looking like Mesa may be close to merging the "Dozen" driver that provides this preliminary Vulkan on Direct3D 12 support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

You've *finally* reported on this

Comment

So... In the future I can run Wine in WSL with a DX12 -> Vulkan -> DX12 pipeline?

Comment

What's the end goal here?

As in: Is there a nefarious purpose (EEE) or is it more like simple practicality in terms of wanting to be able to emulate/virtualise WSL2 on top of existing DX12 Windows closed-source driver infra when using Vulkan-native apps inside WSL2?

If it's not clear from the context, I'm leaning towards the latter FWIW.

Comment

Originally posted by ermo View Post

As in: Is there a nefarious purpose (EEE) or is it more like simple practicality in terms of wanting to be able to emulate/virtualise WSL2 on top of existing DX12 Windows closed-source driver infra when using Vulkan-native apps inside WSL2?

I agree, I think it's the latter. It's consistent with the rest of the work in this area. It may well be for better Android support.

Comment

It is the latter.

Comment

The later implies EEE too, to make Vulkan-friendly platforms adopt these layers instead native Vulkan.

Anyone remember Farenheit Project?

Microsoft always hated to adopt open APIs, just like Apple. But Microsoft is a lot more twisted, as history shows.

Satya making Microsoft good? That's a good marketing joke!

Comment

I don't really understand what's so hard to grasp about these projects. (OpenCLOn12, OpenGLOn12, Dozen) Microsoft is using DX12 to be THE ONE graphics driver a vendor has to implement for Windows to get decent (if not universal) API coverage. It makes it easier to create Windows-enabled devices. Apple does the same thing with Metal, but they don't care to create "1st party" translation layers for OpenCL/OpenGL, they just deprecate them and then they leave developers hanging in limbo. MS at least funds Collabora to create these layers and they created DX11->DX12 and DX9/10->DX12 layers in-house.

By hooking everything up to DX12 (and DirectML), you can run just about anything on a Windows machine and it gives a good baseline level of support for all APIs. Vendors are still free to provide their own implementations to these APIs if they want better support.

Comment

It's obvious - Mike is gonna get Zink running on it for the ultimate in indirection!

Comment

The only reason I see for mesa to ever accept these patches, is to lick Microsoft's boots...

Comment

Working...
                    X