Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arch Linux Now Provides Debug Packages, Debuginfod Integration

Phoronix: Arch Linux Now Provides Debug Packages, Debuginfod Integration

It took them until 2022, but Arch Linux now provides debug packages for easing the process of debugging software packages rather than having to recompile the software yourself with debug symbols included...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Awesome! Been waiting years for this. This was my main gripe with Arch. Now that this is supported Arch is basically the perfect distro for my desktop and laptop needs.

Time to reinstall that one laptop I kept running Ubuntu to have something with debug symbols on when coding C and C++.

Comment

Arch more and more looks like a respectable serious Distro actually capable of serving the advanced user instead of just being a joke to tease people on how "hard" it is to install, it just took them 20 years.

Comment

Next: x86_64_v3

Comment

So, after experimenting with it, it does indeed seem like it is an ongoing effort. glibc for example doesn't have debug symbols available yet. That and libstdc++ are probably the two most important libraries to have debug symbols. libreadline did however have debug symbols.

So I guess this will probably reach usable levels in a month or so? Hopefully?

Comment

Since Arch is an early adopter for pretty much everything, it's a prime candidate for submitting useful bug reports. So this could prove very fruitful, very soon.

Comment

This is a great change, the lack of debug packages on arch was one of the main reasons why I stopped using it. I'm sure upstream developers will also be pleased to see better bug reports from arch users.

Comment

Waiting for the KDE symbols... finally won't be the "first to have bugs, but wait 4 months until Kubuntu gets them so KDE actually knows about them".

Comment

Originally posted by mystiquewolf View Post
                  Waiting for the KDE symbols... finally won't be the "first to have bugs, but wait 4 months until Kubuntu gets them so KDE actually knows about them".
                  You're going to be disappointed.

Comment

Finally! I can debug these crashes for once!

Comment

Working...
                    X