Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Chrome 98 Released With COLRv1 For Smaller Emoji Files

Phoronix: Google Chrome 98 Released With COLRv1 For Smaller Emoji Files

Chrome 98 is available today as Google's second web browser update of the new year. The Chrome 98 changes are mostly on the developer-side but with some user-impacting differences...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

stay away from Chrome, its a Virus

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

Maybe you also should have posted "... and get vaccinated to protect yourself from Chrome".
      Pick your vaccine:
      - Firefox
      - ungoogled-chromium
      - Brave
      - Falkon

Comment

Please release a binary of Chrome for the major *BSDs Google. At least OpenBSD. It would be so nice to have the most secure Unix OS in the world with real Chrome. That or reverse your Google sync settings so they work in Chromium...

Comment

Emoji files meaning Emoji fonts?
          Aren't emoji emoticons part of the Unicode characters now?
          If so, why would anyone need to load a Google font for that when the local system already has a font that supports Unicode, hence emojis?
          If I'm right about the above, then it looks to me that Google is trying to add another dependency on their fonts to help their spyware and data gathering.

Comment

Emojis are given as an example, and a real-world example that the reality of emoji support in many webpages and apps is to replace emojis with images upon display, which can create a lot of network traffic in web pages.

What I don't get is why the colours are fixed in the colour font - although it seems they are working on defining these via CSS eventually, it seems like an oversight not to be part of the first version.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
              Emoji files meaning Emoji fonts?
              Aren't emoji emoticons part of the Unicode characters now?
              If so, why would anyone need to load a Google font for that when the local system already has a font that supports Unicode, hence emojis?
              If I'm right about the above, then it looks to me that Google is trying to add another dependency on their fonts to help their spyware and data gathering.
              I don't know, but many operating systems have different fonts so maybe you want the emojis to look same on all the platforms.
              Windows, Android and iOS all support Unicode and have emojis, but their emojis look different.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Pick your vaccine:
                - Firefox
                - ungoogled-chromium
                - Brave
                - Falkon
                Qutebrowser Seriously, why is this browser so overlooked?!?

* Its fast
                * its powerful (scripts in python, but yeah, I know, the phoronix audience loves JS) :P
                * it works perfectly in Wayland and has plasma's task manager support for specific desktop files
                * the development is very alive
                * very customizable

Comment

Fix scroll problem they don't want, bunch of shit!

Comment

Originally posted by pereiraalex View Post

Qutebrowser Seriously, why is this browser so overlooked?!?
                    Because I don't like nor want a keyboard-driven web browser.

Comment

Working...
                    X