Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt Announces Changes To Simplify Its Commercial Licensing

Phoronix: Qt Announces Changes To Simplify its Commercial Licensing

The Qt Company continues to look for ways to diversify its product offering and improve its financial performance. In addition to the recent change making it easier to add ads into Qt apps, The Qt Company announced today a simplification of their commercial licensing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Just curious but apart from KDE and some K apps what is/are big pieces of software that use QT for business?

Comment

Originally posted by cytomax55 View Post
      Just curious but apart from KDE and some K apps what is/are big pieces of software that use QT for business?
      A ton unfortunately, commercial software predominately uses it to escape the linker symbol hell on linux, and crossplatform with GTK is still a nightmare.
      Alot Os software like dolphin or wireshark uses it as well, for similar reasons, even going through the blistering pains of moving there from another toolkit.

The only software kit that fits a similar broad cross-platform environment is WxWidgets, which doesn't seem to go anywhere. I cant stand QT (design reeks of all the pitfalls Java's deep inheritance), but even I would be tempted to use it if I'd do a cross platform app

Comment

• Customers with a subscription license will be able to distribute applications after the expiry of their Qt developer licenses
        about time. We had multiple perpetual licenses from the old old model (two iterations back), but development on our one QT project had stalled so we held off of renewing them for a few years. Recently we considered resubscribing but this item was a dealbreaker for management. Distribution can’t be tied to renewal - that’s absurd.
        Last edited by Markopolo; 01 February 2022, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Radeon Software is also written in Qt - if you think about it, it's probably the most popular software using Qt out there (or if not, one of the most popular).

Comment

There are also a reasonable number of software packages out there that are windows only closed source that use it, especially in the construction industry. Qt is one of the most simple to use/develop a simple UI in. If you just need a relatively simple UI to front end your core application, then until the advent of Electron or NW.js you pretty much had Qt. This was especially relevant if you wanted to make money off your closed source app.

Comment

Originally posted by Kombatant View Post
              Radeon Software is also written in Qt - if you think about it, it's probably the most popular software using Qt out there (or if not, one of the most popular).
              I don't think so. I believe that the Battle.net Client and the Origin Client is more popular than the Radeon Software client.

Comment

they are a lot of program that use Qt, one of them are VLC, filezilla, qbittorrent and bunch of audio players, openshot, keepaas,Wireshark, Obs and valve now suggest use Qt for any launcher on their steam deck for better compatibility.

Comment

One thing I wonder with Qt, is with OSX bundle and bundle signing.
                  If the whole bundle is signed, and the bundle ships Qt libraries then the Qt libraries are also signed then it becomes impossible to replace the Qt library with another. Is it a case for LGPL violation?

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Software_that_uses_Qt

Comment

Working...
                    X