Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DXVK 1.9.4 Released With Better Support For God Of War

Phoronix: DXVK 1.9.4 Released With Better Support For God Of War

DXVK 1.9.4 is now available for this Direct3D 9/10/11 over Vulkan API implementation used by Valve's Steam Play (Proton) and other software...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

A twitter account of a SteamDeck developer: https://mobile.twitter.com/plagman2

Comment

I hope more memory usage optimizations can be made to bring it down to at least wined3d or hopefully even native DirectX levels.
      Memory limited systems can struggle to use DXVK and need about 2GB or potentially more than what is required on Windows to ensure the system does not run out of memory.
      This is especially limiting for 32-bit games that were released right before 64-bit games became the norm. While on Windows the game might use near 2GB of address space, on DXVK however it could be pushing well over 3GB and be close to exhausting the address space. This becomes very easy to do if you replace textures with higher resolution versions.

Comment

I started playing a DX9 (but 64 bit) game that can display current vram usage. And yeah, just realized that over time my vram usage increased from 1200mb to over 2800mb and it doesn't really go down that much, if I for example return to the main menu. Hopefully the memory management issue in DXVK will at least be mitigated.
        Last edited by user1; 24 January 2022, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Namelesswonder View Post
          I hope more memory usage optimizations can be made to bring it down to at least wined3d or hopefully even native DirectX levels.
          Memory limited systems can struggle to use DXVK and need about 2GB or potentially more than what is required on Windows to ensure the system does not run out of memory.
          This is especially limiting for 32-bit games that were released right before 64-bit games became the norm. While on Windows the game might use near 2GB of address space, on DXVK however it could be pushing well over 3GB and be close to exhausting the address space. This becomes very easy to do if you replace textures with higher resolution versions.
          Happens with WineD3D and Gallium Nine too. Actually DXVK on Windows can have lower additional RAM consumption than the former in Wine. Try to play e.g. Painkiller HD in 4k, it's mostly just impossible in Wine.

Originally posted by user1 View Post
          I started playing a DX9 (but 64 bit) game that can display current vram usage. And yeah, just realized that over time my vram usage increased from 1200mb to over 2800mb and it doesn't really go down that much, if I for example return to the main menu. Hopefully the memory management issue in DXVK will at least be mitigated.
          Sounds like a different problem specific to that title you didn't mention.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post

Sounds like a different problem specific to that title you didn't mention.
            Nvm then, I thought the out of address space issue was about vram, not system ram. However, someone has a similar issue to mine with Outward. According to DXVK dev, that's apparently how DXVK works by design.
            Last edited by user1; 24 January 2022, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Before DXVK 1.94, I couldn't run Batman Arkham Knight performance test on high on my 5700g because I'd get this:

[drm:amdgpu_cs_ioctl [amdgpu]] *ERROR* Not enough memory for command submission!

The vidram would get to 133% and the benchmark would crash. Now with 1.94 I get to 150% before the benchmark crashes. 100% memory for my 5700g is 2560 MB. I'm running this on a crappy HP TP01-2066 which does not allow me to tweak the video memory at all.

It's amazing watching DXVK evolve, Philip is a wizard.

Now to get back to watching everyone whine about the RX 6500 XT video card.

Comment

Originally posted by gukin View Post

[drm:amdgpu_cs_ioctl [amdgpu]] *ERROR* Not enough memory for command submission!
                You can add this to kernel command line to increase gtt size , number is in megabytes.
                Code:
                amdgpu.gttsize=8192
                for amdgpu, when vram is out, it will use gtt memory,
                for integrated graphics, there is no difference between vram and gtt, maybe ?

Comment

Working...
                X