Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sway 1.7 Released With VR Headset DRM Leasing, Renames "--my-next-gpu-wont-be-nvidia"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sway 1.7 Released With VR Headset DRM Leasing, Renames "--my-next-gpu-wont-be-nvidia"

Phoronix: Sway 1.7 Released With VR Headset DRM Leasing, Renames "--my-next-gpu-wont-be-nvidia"

After working its way through the release candidate process, Sway 1.7 is out this weekend as the newest feature release for this i3-inspired, lightweight Wayland compositor...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Free idea: create Vulkan cube demo written on Rust. Name it hat3r. Add the whole bunch of --my-next-XXX-wont-be-YYY for CPU/GPU/DE/compositors/etc. Even if one want to compile that demo from source then --my-next-pl-wont-be-rust must be specified. It must be fully functional demo when correct hater flags was provided.

Comment

--my-next-tiling-wm-wont-be-sway

Comment

--good-for-you --enjoy-novideo-card

Comment

--my-next-comment-wont-be-a-switch

Comment

Originally posted by SilverFox
            --guess-i'm-not-going-to-be-running-swaywm-on-the-m1-mac
            Why not? The m1 linux driver will definitely be open source, thus you won't have any trouble with sway.

By the way it feels very strange not having any kind of --fuck-you in the command line flag for Nvidia GPUs, the two should go alongside each other.
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

"Titlebars now have a fixed height, they no longer resize depending on characters used in the title."
              This was incredible annoying, glad it's fixed.

Comment

OpenSource, Yes. At the moment there's no GPU acceleration and I don't think apple is likely to let that happen.
                Do you have any information about Apple blocking such efforts like Nvidia does? Or is that pure speculation?

Comment

--guess-i'm-not-going-to-be-running-swaywm-on-the-m1-mac --when-linux-get's-working-onit-then && shutdown now
                  the M1 macs have an open-source GPU driver now. it passes about 90% of the opengl conformance tests

Comment

OpenSource, Yes. At the moment there's no GPU acceleration and I don't think apple is likely to let that happen.

Be fun for sure to see if the linux M1 projects gets any traction, But can't help but to think of the nouveau project and the hurdle they've faced all this time.
                    less nouveau, more panfrost (same dev). they already _have_ a working open source driver that passes around 90% of the opengl conformance tests. it hasn't yet been ported to linux (producing the kernel-mode shim is the last step) but it's also the easiest. especially when they already have the DRM stuff up and running on linux.

Comment

Working...
                    X