Genode OS Planning For WireGuard, Mobile Usability With The PinePhone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genode OS Planning For WireGuard, Mobile Usability With The PinePhone

Phoronix: Genode OS Planning For WireGuard, Mobile Usability With The PinePhone

I've been writing about Genode OS for over a decade as one of the interesting original, open-source operating system frameworks that has taken novel approaches to many design elements and continues persevering with their efforts. For 2022 the project has yet more ambitious goals ahead...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Interesting. Last year, they had the same goal but it seems it took more work than thought of.

This time, they seem more precise and motivated. Maybe they finally got their hands on some pinephones? Can't wait. Genode is super minimalist and fast on my old pc so I have high hopes for it on my pinephone. I was quite disappointed with how slow Linux images are for it.

EDIT: Maybe a highly motivated paying customer?

Comment

Genode OS sounds like a fascinating project I am just not sure how to use it. It uses multiple kernels and virtualization and is more security conscious than OpenBSD is which says A LOT. Would love to know if anyone runs this as a daily driver on their laptop?

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
        Genode OS sounds like a fascinating project I am just not sure how to use it. It uses multiple kernels and virtualization and is more security conscious than OpenBSD is which says A LOT. Would love to know if anyone runs this as a daily driver on their laptop?
        I run it from time to time on a USB key (it's shockingly light, ~50 MB, and super fast for USB) and... while it's fun, don't even think about running it as a daily driver.

There is a qtwebengine web browser, but it's super old, and not really optimized. There is also a huge lack of packages for, well, everything. Linux's ecosystem is orders of magnitude more developed. For a fun reading, I'd recommend reading their manual describing how they achieve state of the art security. This pdf, page 218 onward which describes their modified NOVA kernel which is used in the "default" images.

Comment

Originally posted by kvuj View Post

I run it from time to time on a USB key (it's shockingly light, ~50 MB, and super fast for USB) and... while it's fun, don't even think about running it as a daily driver.

There is a qtwebengine web browser, but it's super old, and not really optimized. There is also a huge lack of packages for, well, everything. Linux's ecosystem is orders of magnitude more developed. For a fun reading, I'd recommend reading their manual describing how they achieve state of the art security. This pdf, page 218 onward which describes their modified NOVA kernel which is used in the "default" images.
          Thanks for the insight! Appreciate it!

Comment

Working...
          X