Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 7.0 Released With Improved Theming, New WoW64 & Much More

Phoronix: Wine 7.0 Released With Improved Theming, New WoW64 & Much More

Wine 7.0 is now officially available for enjoying Windows games and applications on Linux, macOS, and other platforms...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Still waiting for these to be re-enabled: https://github.com/wine-staging/wine...eAudio_Support

Comment

WoW64 thunks are implemented for most Unix libraries, enabling a 32-bit PE module to call a 64-bit Unix library. Once the remaining modules are converted to PE, this will make it possible to run 32-bit applications without installing 32-bit Unix libraries.
      So functionality is there but it does not work right now?

Comment

Originally posted by -MacNuke- View Post

Yes, it seems it will work when remaining modules will be converted to PE.

Using Wine on 64 bit OS without installing tons of 32 bit libraries will be nice feature. One step closer to pure 64 bit OS. I wonder if this will bring Wine to macOS newer than 10.14 Mojave as well. I know that Crossover supports that but Wine doesn't.

Comment

Too bad they refuse to work on the FUTEX2 support.

Comment

Originally posted by -MacNuke- View Post

At least on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS with the official staging builds from winehq.org, "sudo apt autoremove" already removed alot of i386 (32-bit) packages from my system quite awhile ago, while x86 Win32 apps kept on working, so I assume most of it is already implemented & working.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
              Too bad they refuse to work on the FUTEX2 support.
              Just use the Lutris-GE builds for Windows games - works much better than WINE-Staging, not to mention WINE-Stable.

FUTEX2 patches are already included there, aswell.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

Just use the Lutris-GE builds for Windows games - works much better than WINE-Staging, not to mention WINE-Stable.
                I'd say "better" is pretty relative there. It includes a ton of stuff that are hacks and can be actually not good for some cases. So it all depends.

Comment

I've had to use WINE on Windows 11 to enable Windows software to work. WINE has already surpassed Windows for compatibility.

Comment

Improved theming? Nice!
                    Now if the default theme looked better (while still keeping the Windows 9x option for those who prefer that)...

Comment

Working...
                    X