Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCIe 6.0 Specification Released With 64 GT/s Transfer Speeds

Phoronix: PCIe 6.0 Specification Released With 64 GT/s Transfer Speeds

While PCIe 5.0 adoption is only in its infancy, the PCI-SIG today announced the PCIe 6.0 specification...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yay! Now I can cook on my chipset!

Oh wait, all the motherboards coming up with PCIe 6.0 will have a fan....

Comment

It's great to see someone actually sticking to an understandable naming scheme.

Comment

Still waiting for the day when graphics cards are available so I can stop using a PCIE 3 graphics card on my PCIE 4 motherboard. What a glorious day that is going to be.

Comment

I hope this won't increase the costs of motherboards further, or PC gaming becomes a luxury hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
            I hope this won't increase the costs of motherboards further, or PC gaming becomes a luxury hobby.
            It's a luxury hobby already considering the onerous prices of graphics cards.

Comment

Can't wait wait for AMD's future GPUs to utilize PCIe 6.0x1 and hence run horribly in older systems only supporting earlier standards.

Comment

Originally posted by kiffmet View Post
                Can't wait wait for AMD's future GPUs to utilize PCIe 6.0x1 and hence run horribly in older systems only supporting earlier standards.
                Yeah, better prepare for Radeon RX 9500 XT up to 85% perf drop on PCIe 3.0 motherboards cause of PCIe 6.0 x1
                Last edited by user1; 11 January 2022, 04:19 PM.

Comment

The incompetent guys from USB-IF and WIFI should take an example:
                  They didn't call it the PCI superspeed v6 gen5 v2+, then they didnt rebranded PCI 5.0 into v6gen4... and everyone is happier.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
                    If you want/need to be an early adopter of PCIe 6.0 in the consumer space expect to pay quite the premium as cost and power requirements are noticeably increased for PAM4 (and the SI validation is going to go through another round of "learning").

Most expect that PCIe 6.0 is going to be seen initially/primarily in the (hyperscaler) server space where the various benefits will far outweigh the costs.

Comment

Working...
                    X