Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Btrfs Seeing Nice Performance Improvements For Linux 5.17

Phoronix: Btrfs Seeing Nice Performance Improvements For Linux 5.17

With the Btrfs file-system popularity ticking back up, that seems to be helping upstream enthusiasm and development efforts as with Linux 5.17 there is yet more exciting work...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is great! Btrfs is my favorite filesystem for now with zstd.
    Last edited by Mario Junior; 10 January 2022, 11:01 PM.

Comment

That's cool, but I hope that the Zstd code will be updated to latest version too.
      That way the combined improvements for BTRFS and Zstd will be great for users which use them together.
      I really like all the performance improvements on this kernel.

Comment

Hopefully BTRFS RAID5/6 gets some loving as well.

Comment

The majority of Btrfs code is quite stable since years but performance is/was the only downside of this fs. Of course this is caused by the its very nature. Nonetheless is it good to see that we have reached the polish phase of this modern fs.

Comment

Hopefully this patch https://patchwork.kernel.org/project...?series=603266 from Goffredo Baroncelli will make it soon too.
            (Allows to use SSD for metadata of HDD array, nice boost in performance for big filesystems and cold data)

Comment

quota needs some love as well: I've recently tried it with snapper but it constantly hangs my system with one core consuming 100% of the cpu and slowing everything else down to an unusable level.
              ## VGA ##
              AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
              Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                That's cool, but I hope that the Zstd code will be updated to latest version too.
                That way the combined improvements for BTRFS and Zstd will be great for users which use them together.
                I really like all the performance improvements on this kernel.
                Pretty much agree.
                Though as a user who's creating a file browser I'm disappointed at Btrfs's extended file attributes support (a posix standard) - in that it only supports ~20KiB or less (per file) which most of the time isn't enough to attach a thumbnail to an image file which forces me to store them in a separate folder - which is slower to read and sync them to the respective image file when listing files in the browser and makes the file browser do extra housekeeping.

XFS on the other hand supports much larger extended file attributes which is why it's my favorite FS for now. Props to the XFS devs!

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                  That already happened with 5.16:

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                    quota needs some love as well: I've recently tried it with snapper but it constantly hangs my system with one core consuming 100% of the cpu and slowing everything else down to an unusable level.
                    Are you testing this problem on openSUSE? I ask because this was a problem until some time ago, however in recent times optimizations have been made in openSUSE, significantly reducing this problem.
                    On my system with Tumbleweed on SSD I only have occasional freezes, usually after big updates, but these freezes are really a few seconds long and due to snapshot cleanup.

Comment

Working...
                    X