Microsoft Eyeing OpenGL Compute + GLES 3.1 For Its Mesa D3D12 Backend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Eyeing OpenGL Compute + GLES 3.1 For Its Mesa D3D12 Backend

Phoronix: Microsoft Eyeing OpenGL Compute + GLES 3.1 For Its Mesa D3D12 Backend

Microsoft had a wild 2021 with Linux/open-source contributions and now days into 2022 we are already seeing more of their Mesa feature work as they look to further advance the capabilities of their Direct3D 12 back-end for running OpenGL/OpenCL atop native Windows D3D12 drivers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Microsoft enjoys killing Linux desktop for sure...
    Last edited by tildearrow; 07 January 2022, 01:44 PM.

Comment

You fail to realize that MS adding OpenGL stuff to DirectX is effectively praise for OpenGL. Or at least it is the closest to praise MS will ever offer.

Let them take what they want. That is the nature of Open Source.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Until that libd3d12.so is open-sourced or removed, I'm not happy!
        As if they care about you happy or not.

Comment

This means we might finally get good GL drivers on the windows desktop. NVIDIA is likely better, AMD and Intel is not a clear win on both sides, QCOM/ARM however sounds like a clear win.

Comment

Would you prefer developers to rewrite their OpenGL code to D3D12 instead?

Windows itself doesn't support modern OpenGL. It's working on desktop Windows only because driver developers can provide their own implementation. Some Windows based platforms (like Xbox or Windows ARM) are not providing that possibility and developers are locked to native API which is of course Direct3D. This work probably can be used to workaround this just like MoltenVK provides Vulkan support for macOS.

Comment

MS need that for EDGE(Chromium)
              So they need webgl webcl webcompute translation layer to DirectX 12

Comment

Isn't the whole OpenGL to DX12 thing exclusive to WSL? If so, I don't see how it benefits Windows users outside of WSL.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
                  Isn't the whole OpenGL to DX12 thing exclusive to WSL? If so, I don't see how it benefits Windows users outside of WSL.
                  The eventual goal is to be available for cases like windows on ARM, where getting a full site of graphics apis functional is extremely unlikely. This would mean Microsoft can push vendors to make a single driver, and they just wrap the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by OmniNegro View Post
                    You fail to realize that MS adding OpenGL stuff to DirectX is effectively praise for OpenGL. Or at least it is the closest to praise MS will ever offer.

Let them take what they want. That is the nature of Open Source.
                    First of all, nice name,
                    Second of all, they only have Gallium back end because it's necessary for them to get acceleration on linux at all using their shitty shim to avoid gpl.

Originally posted by degasus View Post

This means we might finally get good GL drivers on the windows desktop. NVIDIA is likely better, AMD and Intel is not a clear win on both sides, QCOM/ARM however sounds like a clear win.
                    I highly doubt this will benefit native windows desktop in any way, any time soon. I would hold higher hopes for zink myself, as they are essentially the same thing,

Originally posted by user1 View Post
                    it can also benefit micosofts linux Vm's as the gpu architecture from what I remember is quite similar.

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post

Would you prefer developers to rewrite their OpenGL code to D3D12 instead?

Windows itself doesn't support modern OpenGL. It's working on desktop Windows only because driver developers can provide their own implementation. Some Windows based platforms (like Xbox or Windows ARM) are not providing that possibility and developers are locked to native API which is of course Direct3D. This work probably can be used to workaround this just like MoltenVK provides Vulkan support for macOS.
                    I personally would rather them not use a BS shim. that's all it is, and their "AI specific features of it" is just a way to try and put makeup on the pig.

Comment

Working...
                    X