Google Has Been Quietly Developing "GFR" To Debug Vulkan GPU Hangs/Crashes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Has Been Quietly Developing "GFR" To Debug Vulkan GPU Hangs/Crashes

Phoronix: Google Has Been Quietly Developing "GFR" To Debug Vulkan GPU Hangs/Crashes

Last year Google quietly open-sourced the Graphics Flight Recorder (GFR) for sorting out GPU hangs and crashes. GFR is implemented as an implicit Vulkan layer that works on both Windows and Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Note - the original post is about enabling it for turnip Vulkan driver. radv already supports VK_AMD_device_coherent_memory and VK_AMD_buffer_marker.

But good discovery, it should help reporting bugs. Kind of weird Google open sourced it and no one knew about it.

A side question, who sponsors turnip work for Igalia?
    Last edited by shmerl; 05 January 2022, 04:29 AM.

Comment

Could be very beneficial for all dxvk vkd3d mappings too. Very welcomed. Hopefully this will increase codequality and the speed of resolving proton et al bugs.

Comment

I should try capturing my 100% occurring Valheim crash on RADV (and it seems to be occurring on windows AMD Vulkan driver as well).

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
          I should try capturing my 100% occurring Valheim crash on RADV (and it seems to be occurring on windows AMD Vulkan driver as well).
          Interesting. I started playing Valheim over the recent holidays and after almost 36h I've not had a single crash. I'll list some of my specs in case it helps narrow down the issue.
          Code:
          Debian testing
          Linux 5.15.5
          Mesa 21.2.6
          AMD Radeon R9 Fury Series (FIJI, DRM 3.42.0, 5.15.0-2-amd64, LLVM 12.0.1)
          Ryzen 2700X
          GNOME on Wayland

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

Interesting. I started playing Valheim over the recent holidays and after almost 36h I've not had a single crash. I'll list some of my specs in case it helps narrow down the issue.
            Code:
            Debian testing
            Linux 5.15.5
            Mesa 21.2.6
            AMD Radeon R9 Fury Series (FIJI, DRM 3.42.0, 5.15.0-2-amd64, LLVM 12.0.1)
            Ryzen 2700X
            GNOME on Wayland
            It seems to be prevalent on 6700 XT, as both I and the user that has logged a bug are running on that card.

Comment

waiting for someone to come in complaining about stadia

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post

It seems to be prevalent on 6700 XT, as both I and the user that has logged a bug are running on that card.
                That's crazy if it happens with both RADV and Windows driver. I'm sure there are many people with that GPU that play Valheim. Maybe it could be related to AIB or BIOS version? FWIW I've played ~200 hours without a crash (managed to fight the current final boss). I have a RX 480 though. It's probably the game that I enjoyed the most in 2021.

I have respect for Iron Gate Studio. Typically I don't like Unity based games that much, but the devs put in a lot of effort to keep the game size small and updates size small too not to mention crossplatform support. Valheim 1 GiB, Call of Duty 175 GiB...

Is OpenGL stable on your system?

Comment

I'm constantly running into VK_Error_Device_Lost and GPU hung errors lately on Intel Iris Xe so having tools to help debug this would be great!

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
                    Is OpenGL stable on your system?
                    Yes, never had a crash. And the Vulkan version worked fine for 20 hours of gameplay before the patch in November.
                    Now it crashes after 1 minute, consistently.

Here is the bug report: https://valheimbugs.featureupvote.co...t-recent-patch

Comment

Working...
                    X