Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better AMD Radeon VCE Video Encode Performance Coming To Linux

Phoronix: Better AMD Radeon VCE Video Encode Performance Coming To Linux

With a few lines of changed code updating some parameters, AMD Radeon graphics processors having the VCE video encoder block will be able to enjoy better performance...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yessssssss! I am really hoping this is why I can't hit 4K @ 60 FPS with H.264 but can with H.265.

But wouldn't it be better to implement -compression_level already? Only Intel VA-API supports it but not AMD...

Comment

In the meantime, UVD decoding GPU crashes are back in Mesa main branch

Comment

Hey, I noticed bad performance when trying hardware encoding in OBS using my R9 Fury. Never investigated it, but hoping this will fix it. Like tildearrow above, I couldn't reach 4k60fps, actually nowhere close to it even though the hardware should be capable, and in fact does manage it on Windows. I even had trouble with 1440p and even 1080p depending on frame-rate and various settings like bit-rate. Pretty sure I made 1080p60fps work after some tinkering, but the end result was disappointing due to not being able to use the desired h264 features and hit my desired bit-rate which meant the final image quality was quite bad.

Comment

would this help make AMD Ryzenâ„¢ 7 5700G competitive with Intel Quick Sync?

Comment

Yeah!!Very good improvement..
            I noticed in debian unstable that, my kaveri system already has support for VAAPI accelerated h264, but this will improve it.
            Meanwhile we suffer in debian stable without VAAPI working

Comment

Nice. I've already noticed desktop capture/encoding frametimes in OBS getting better consistently lately.

On my Ryzen 3500U (Zen+/Vega8 iGPU) it was getting 7-8ms render time per frame on kernel 5.11 + Mesa 21.2. Now on 5.15 + Mesa 21.3 + OBS 27.1.3, I'm getting 2-3ms average render time per frame, and only a few percent cpu usage.

Comment

Dropping QPEL in motion estimation is taking visual quality back to 1990s H.263 days. Don't do it unless you want your videos to look like Playstation 1 Games with jumpy geometry. Cranking up the bitrate will hide this, but that's not a good goal for streaming.
                Last edited by linuxgeex; 30 December 2021, 07:21 PM.

Comment

I would like AMD to start taking video encoding seriously, at this point compared to the competition (NVidia) its really embarrassing and it is yet another reason on the bucket list of why NVidia is ahead of AMD in a lot of more professional areas.

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
                    I would like AMD to start taking video encoding seriously, at this point compared to the competition (NVidia) its really embarrassing and it is yet another reason on the bucket list of why NVidia is ahead of AMD in a lot of more professional areas.
                    i would say in general nvidia is prefered, which is reason why unless you are using Linux primarly Nvidia at equal price and equal performance is almost always prefered. Better computing stack, better raytracing, better DLSS, better hardware encoding (in both quality and speed at the same time) and on windows (that is where it matters) better drivers sort of?

Intel understands it, and develops better QuickSync (worse in quality but even more rich in terms of decoding/encoding chromas/profiles), XeSS is also comming, and also OneAPI is also potentially move in right direction.
                    Last edited by piotrj3; 30 December 2021, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X