Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDVLK 2021.Q4.3 Released To Fix Poor Wayland Performance

Phoronix: AMDVLK 2021.Q4.3 Released To Fix Poor Wayland Performance

AMD's official Vulkan driver team is ending out the year by pushing out AMDVLK 2021.Q4.3 as their official open-source Radeon Vulkan driver implementation for Linux systems. This alternative to the Mesa RADV driver finally has fixed up its very poor performance for Vulkan under Wayland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Present of vsynced frames from backbuffer queue when fps < refresh rate probably is still unnecessarily unsmooth with this driver, even "amdvlk-pro" on Windows screwed that up and likely still does. This is extra bad on Wayland, since there is no non-vsynced mode and e.g. Gnome still doesn't support VRR (and there are still lots of users without VRR capable display).
    Reported it ages ago: https://github.com/GPUOpen-Drivers/AMDVLK/issues/96

Comment

can someone show up who is using this AMDVLK driver ?

because i really really do not know a single person who use this all use AMDGPU/MESA-RADV
      Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

I've found the only way to get my 6900XT to it's full performance (on the games I play on Steam anyway) is to use AMDVLK and gamemoderun command then I get 99% GPU usage (according to MangoHud). Using the MESA-RADV even with gamemoderun it rarely goes above 20%. Though the Q4.3 version caused the games I play to show they were loading then just close. Downgraded to Q4.2 and everything worked again.
        I'm running Arch, 5.15.11 kernel.

sam

Comment

Working...
        X