No announcement yet.

Debian 11.2 Released With Updates For Bugs & Security Issues - Including Log4j

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian 11.2 Released With Updates For Bugs & Security Issues - Including Log4j

Phoronix: Debian 11.2 Released With Updates For Bugs & Security Issues - Including Log4j

Debian 11.2 is out today as the newest point release to "Bullseye" that premiered earlier this year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I always feel like debian means "running outdated kernels and software" with no benefits than the illusion that old software is more stable than updated one

what we need is good QA when pushing an update for no regressions, which is different from shipping prehistoric stuff

Comment

Originally posted by C8292 View Post
      [...] the illusion that old software is more stable than updated one [...]
      That's not what stable stands for in Debian. There is no illusion here.

People have been making the same mistake for decades.

Comment

what we need is good QA when pushing an update for no regressions
        That kind of support/QA is what one typically pays an Enterprise Linux vendor for(*). And for stable versions, those vendors may cherrypick/backport only the point fixes needed to resolve the reported issues and get them to their customers first/early.

The debian community, even without the directed deep pockets of some other enterprise vendors (Canonical, Oracle, RedHat, Suse, for example), does a good job of getting important fixes out quickly, and should be acknowledged for doing that good work.

(*) And if you are a large Windows shop, you have a Enterprise Support contract with Microsoft.

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post

That's not what stable stands for in Debian. There is no illusion here.

People have been making the same mistake for decades.
          it it doesn't mean that why does it ship with gnomeshell 3.8.x, php 7.4, golang 1.15 (or pick any other example)
          all of them have new releases mark as stable and out if the wild for a while now?

Comment

it it doesn't mean that why does it ship with gnomeshell 3.8.x, php 7.4, golang 1.15 (or pick any other example)
            all of them have new releases mark as stable and out if the wild for a while now?
            Talk about proving my point...

In the Debian context, "stable" means that it doesn't change, not that it doesn't crash.

Once Debian ships with a given version (think API, compatibility, scripting, reliability on established behaviour) of a program, it keeps that* until the next stable version, i.e. it keeps the version stable.

*(Exceptions are granted for security fixes, and some special programs like Firefox, Thunderbird, which is what the recent Phoronix article was about).

Comment

I guess you never have used the debian backports repository .
              Same packages, new versions and quite handy . It's not a "rolling release", but very useful.

Comment

Originally posted by slotdime View Post
                I guess you never have used the debian backports repository .
                Same packages, new versions and quite handy . It's not a "rolling release", but very useful.
                I neved did indeed. reading about it right now. thank you

Comment

Had a lot of fun this week at work with the log4j fallout

Comment

Yay! Thanks Debian!❤️

Comment

Working...
                    X