Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Adds Experimental Vulkan Support

Phoronix: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Adds Experimental Vulkan Support

Following recent Steam database entries suggesting as much, Valve this evening formally pushed out a new Counter-Strike: Global Offensive build introducing initial Vulkan API rendering support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Finally! Now we can be on par with the Windows side!

Comment

It's a little glitchy and not quite as fast as OpenGL for me in the little bit I've tried, but it's something. It sure beats the last update that hosed the OpenGL path entirely.

Comment

Originally posted by Particle View Post
        It's a little glitchy and not quite as fast as OpenGL for me in the little bit I've tried, but it's something. It sure beats the last update that hosed the OpenGL path entirely.
        Same here. Small stutters makes it salty. However opengl version was mostly problematic with its long shader compilation times before the launch. This seems to compile way faster.

Comment

This should be good because Vulkan is typically faster than OpenGL. At a time when we can't get new hardware because the miners are soaking the GPUs all up, better software can still get us some of the upgrades we need.

Comment

L4D2 performance with Vulkan on Windows is a literally trash with a bunch of glitches.

Let's see if Valve won't do the same dirty work in CS.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
              L4D2 performance with Vulkan on Windows
              Is L4D2 Vulkan decent on Linux?

Comment

L4D2 performance with Vulkan on Windows is a literally trash with a bunch of glitches.
                AMD Windows Vulkan driver? If yes: AMD don't support DXVK. At least they don't fix any single DXVK issue that is specific to that driver.
                Last edited by aufkrawall; 15 December 2021, 12:01 AM.

Comment

Let's see if Valve won't do the same dirty work in CS.
                  I did that work and I'm not aware of any glitches at all (aside from the typical Vulkan being broken on Intel Windows).
                  I haven't seen any on GitHub or the community forums, care to go into more detail?

Additionally, what about the performance is bad? In my testing it performs consistently faster than at least AMD's D3D9 drivers even on Windows ignoring the initial stutter from no Fossilize on Windows yet.
                  Last edited by JoshuaAshton; 15 December 2021, 12:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SkyWarrior View Post
                    Same here. Small stutters makes it salty. However opengl version was mostly problematic with its long shader compilation times before the launch. This seems to compile way faster.
                    Regarding shader compilation time: Valve has a whole infrastructure for precompiling shaders for Vulkan games, steam will do it at install time or before first launch. At runtime there should be no shader compilation, or at least very little; assuming these releases are compatible with that.

Comment

Working...
                    X