Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System76 Releases Pop!_OS 21.10

Phoronix: System76 Releases Pop!_OS 21.10

Linux PC vendor System76 has released Pop!_OS 21.10 as the newest version of their Ubuntu-based operating system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Too bad they insist of using Gnome instead of coming with KDE Plasma by default or at least have an edition with it!
    As a KDE fan I never see myself using such a distro no matter how much they tweak Gnome.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      Too bad they insist of using Gnome instead of coming with KDE Plasma by default or at least have an edition with it!
      As a KDE fan I never see myself using such a distro no matter how much they tweak Gnome.
      They want stability, and as of now GNOME is more stable than KDE despite its horrible UI design guidelines.
      Even though KDE is getting a *lot* of bug fixes...

Not only that but even they think GNOME isn't enough, so they decided to write a new thing called Cosmic.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

They want stability, and as of now GNOME is more stable than KDE despite its horrible UI design guidelines.
        Even though KDE is getting a *lot* of bug fixes...

Not only that but even they think GNOME isn't enough, so they decided to write a new thing called Cosmic.
        I think Gnome being more Stable than KDE is just a myth now!
        I'm running KDE Plasma daily on my Kubuntu install on Wayland and I rarely experience any crashes.
        KDE has improved a lot lately.

The new thing they decided to write will be useless for a long time as they cannot reach parity in any way to Gnome or KDE that have 20+ years of work.
        I definitely don't want to use a DE that doesn't have Wayland support, a feature packed file manager like Dolphin, document reader like Okular, phone integration like KDE Connect and so many other things that at least KDE Plas has.

The NIH syndrome leads in 95% of cases to small projects that are abandoned after a few years.

So, good luck to them, but I don't think I'll ever downgrade to their DE.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          Cosmic is/will be implemented (mostly) in Rust, right?

Comment

KDE is trash DE, it can't even properly show icons in taskbar (had issue with Spoitfy/Viber showing generic X icon, some apps like TablePlus showed low res icon), doesn't show notifications properly (had issue with Viber, despite Viber being ironically Qt5 app), can't remove panel shadow without editing some random system SVG file (such configurability), tiny font in datetime applet in taskbar if you try to show something more than time (thou I think thy finally fix this in latest version), leaks memory like crazy (600MB plasmashell, 300MB kwin process after few hours of usage), and lot of tiny issues.
            Sorry but GNOME at least is polished, reliable and relatively bugfree DE compared to KDE.

Comment

I use KDE Plasma for almost 2 years now. On Manjaro (meaning latest versions + latest bugs). On notebook with NVIDIA RTX Optimus (more bugs). Using custom kwin window decoration installed from AUR (more bugs again). With custom built kernel for gaming (+9000 bugs).

And what surprised me most is that despite I am often trying to break my notebook (I play Steam games on it, I do software development and other things like neural networks) I had less issues (cant remember any honestly) with KDE than my parents using old stable OSS friendly (without NVIDIA) desktop PC running rock-solid Linux Mint XFCE for web surfing and youtube.

My opinion about GNOME 3... well, dung-beetles also have needs Good to know System76 also understands that. I wish them luck with Cosmic development.

Comment

No need to use Gnome or KDE when you got Budgie

Comment

Originally posted by wooque View Post
                  KDE is trash DE, it can't even properly show icons in taskbar (had issue with Spoitfy/Viber showing generic X icon, some apps like TablePlus showed low res icon), doesn't show notifications properly (had issue with Viber, despite Viber being ironically Qt5 app), can't remove panel shadow without editing some random system SVG file (such configurability), tiny font in datetime applet in taskbar if you try to show something more than time (thou I think thy finally fix this in latest version), leaks memory like crazy (600MB plasmashell, 300MB kwin process after few hours of usage), and lot of tiny issues.
                  Sorry but GNOME at least is polished, reliable and relatively bugfree DE compared to KDE.
                  GNOME is worse, and you literally have to install extensions to have a somewhat usable desktop. From my six month experience during the beginning of this year:
                  ​​​​​​- Starts on Activities overview, which doesn't sound right
                  - Buttons all over the place. Look at PiTiVi and Piper for examples of this.
                  - No user theming unless you enable the respective extension (and guess what? GNOME devs want to abolish theming completely in a future)
                  - Used to have a history of being slow as hell (and still kinda is to some degree)
                  - Generic X icon is non-existent and I had to deal with a blank icon issue (good thing they fixed this but still)
                  - Do I really have to go to Activities in order to start apps or find where did I put my window?
                  - Reminds you when the monitor is about to turn off (or used to)
                  - "Window is ready". And yeah, you have to use extensions to turn it off.
                  - No icons on desktop until you install extensions
                  - The header bars are so damn fat, and more so on non-CSD applications!
                  - Even if you install extensions they will break on the next GNOME version, and good luck if the author of an extension has abandoned it because that means you're on your own!

Both Ubuntu and Pop!_OS ship extensions on their GNOME installations because the default experience is terrible.
                  Last edited by tildearrow; 14 December 2021, 03:58 PM.

Comment

That's too late in terms of the life cycle of 21.10; in the mean time I've already tried Fedora 35 and every version of Arch, settled down with Ubuntu Mate and Kubuntu 21.10 on my work and home PC; in 5mo we'll get another LTS and they'll face another Gnome pain.

Maybe now they know why Ubuntu would delay shipping latest Gnome.

Comment

Working...
                    X