Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 36 Planning To Use plocate As New "locate" Replacement

Phoronix: Fedora 36 Planning To Use plocate As New "locate" Replacement

Fedora 36 is planning to use plocate as its new provider of the locate command for finding files on file-systems. Plocate should make for even faster locating of files on disk as well as doing so using less CPU cycles...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Interesting I remember when it was slocate. Then mlocate and now plocate? Also wrote my own using sqlite called blocate. Performance is amazing.
    A Q&D mlocate alternative which provides basic fs indexing and search via SQLite. - jboero/blocate

Comment

Oh wow - having just switched to plocate myself it really is much faster than mlocate...

Comment

I also switched to plocate a few months ago and it is much faster

Comment

Where do you notice a difference? Debian offers three locate packages, locate (from findutils), mlocate and plocate. I use locate and it seems the only speed limiting factor is the scrolling speed in the terminal window when typing something like "locate gcc".

Comment

Originally posted by George99 View Post
            Where do you notice a difference? Debian offers three locate packages, locate (from findutils), mlocate and plocate. I use locate and it seems the only speed limiting factor is the scrolling speed in the terminal window when typing something like "locate gcc".
            Both update and search. Especially with millions of files in the db.

Comment

Originally posted by George99 View Post
              mlocate in Debian says that it's a transitional package and has been superseded by plocate: https://packages.debian.org/sid/mlocate
              “This is a transitional dummy package to plocate, it can be safely removed.”

Comment

Working...
              X