AMD AMF SDK 1.4.23 Brings Main 10 HEVC Encode, Auto LTR Encoder Mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD AMF SDK 1.4.23 Brings Main 10 HEVC Encode, Auto LTR Encoder Mode

Phoronix: AMD AMF SDK 1.4.23 Brings Brings Main 10 HEVC Encode, Auto LTR Encoder Mode

AMD on Friday published a new version of their Advanced Media Framework "AMF" software development kit that enhances the multimedia processing capabilities for Radeon hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Can anyone ELI5 Does this help AMD compete with intel quick sync?

Comment

I wonder what would be required to run AMF on the normal open source drivers. I tried it quickly before and it didn't work...

Comment

Originally posted by ernstp View Post
        I wonder what would be required to run AMF on the normal open source drivers. I tried it quickly before and it didn't work...
        I think it requires the pro vulkan driver but don't quote me on that !

Comment

Originally posted by ernstp View Post
          Well, few months ago I asked developers about it. They can add support for mesa(radv) if khronos release Vulkan video extension and drivers implement it. As you can see, there is extension (not finished yet but is available) and one developer working on implementing it on anv and radv. So when they fisnish all this stuff, this can be possibile. Also from my internal testing AMF works much better than vaapi. Also there is a simple way to run AMF. You can keep mesa/radv as main driver and pro driver for encoding/decoding https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gamin...coding_in_obs/
          Last edited by xpris; 04 December 2021, 10:40 AM.

Comment

I’m greatly hoping this means HEVC can be supported with Quest VR headsets now! On Windows, the official Oculus software only supports AVC on AMD GPUs, and HEVC through 3rd-party options is glitchy (random corruption blips).

Apparently the new SDK only works with the absolute latest drivers, so it looks like I’ll be busy updating drivers and testing Oculus out later.

I also noticed different ReLive VR headset support in the last two previous beta drivers (Halo Infinite and Blender 3.0), and I’m thinking this new SDK version was implemented silently on those drivers too; notably there was support for Vive Focus, but this didn’t carry over to the 21.11.3 drivers released shortly after those two. All of this only pertains to Windows though, although I’m curious if this could help fix my issues with ALVR on Linux and a RX 580.

All in all, I’m excited to see what comes of this!
            Last edited by Guest; 04 December 2021, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Moment, AMD all that time didn't have HEVC encoding 10 bit support?!?!

Nvidia had it for ages (since Pascal), and it works very well (you can really get a lot better image quality at same bitrate from 10bit).

Comment

Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post

Nvidia had it for ages (since Pascal), and it works very well (you can really get a lot better image quality at same bitrate from 10bit).
                AMF does support 10-bit encoding since RX 5000 series dGPU (Navi10) or 4000G APU (Renoir), both of them have VCN 2.x.
                I applied my 10-bit encoding patch in ffmpeg and it works well for me on Windows.

Comment

Yeah, I did a double take here too.

There's basically no reason to use 8-bit HEVC. I've never seen hardware that only supports decoding the Main profile, and not Main 10.

Comment

Honestly AMD is behind in terms of video encoding...
                    It's 2021 and they still don't have 4:4:4, even though both NVIDIA and Intel do.

Comment

Working...
                    X