CentOS Stream 9 Now Available To Live On The Bleeding-Edge Of RHEL9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CentOS Stream 9 Now Available To Live On The Bleeding-Edge Of RHEL9

Phoronix: CentOS Stream 9 Now Available To Live On The Bleeding-Edge Of RHEL9

While there has been CentOS Stream 8, following last month's RHEL 9 Beta there is now official availability of CentOS Stream 9...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If I have understood well:
    Fedora = RHEL Beta
    CentOS Stream = RHEL RC

Comment

The CentOS Project is delighted to announce the next CentOS Stream distribution - CentOS Stream 9.

Because I see they're using The Slackware and Microsoft Versioning Guidelines, I gotta point out that, at most, this is CentOS Steam 2. The fork from CentOS 8.4 was CentOS Stream 1.0.

CentOS Stream is Continuous

Then why do y'all have version numbers? Continuous, rolling, releases don't actually need those. Date's are sufficient enough. Now some educated, professional, dumbass will install CentOS Stream 9, think that's good enough, and never run an update. Look at dumbass Linus Tech Tips if you think I'm joking.

I hope Stream runs forced updates by default to save dumbasses from themselves. Real nerds with real nerd reasons can turn it off if necessary.

CentOS Stream is Community

Then WTF are Rocky and ALMA Linux?

Comment

Michael, Just a note that the initial post was a staged draft that was missing some edits, it's been rectified now as of ~9:00AM EST. I haven't checked to see if your quoted content has any mismatches.

Cheers,
        Mike

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Because I see they're using The Slackware and Microsoft Versioning Guidelines, I gotta point out that, at most, this is CentOS Steam 2. The fork from CentOS 8.4 was CentOS Stream 1.0.
          The version number is relevant as it denotes which major version of RHEL it's the upstream of. Let's not make simple things difficult for the sake of pedantry.

Then why do y'all have version numbers? Continuous, rolling, releases don't actually need those.
          Because CentOS Stream is not a single rolling distribution. It has major versions, just like RHEL (that in itself is enough to nullify the 'rolling' label, which Red Hat and the CentOS Project have stopped using). It just doesn't have the point-in-time errata-focused minor releases that RHEL does.

I hope Stream runs forced updates by default to save dumbasses from themselves. Real nerds with real nerd reasons can turn it off if necessary.
          There was actually a discussion around this topic a while back on the devel list/Bugzilla.

https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/c...er/077329.html

Then WTF are Rocky and ALMA Linux?
          Additional participants in the broader Enterprise Linux ecosystem. Members of these groups can (and some are) participate in both upstream and downstream projects. The concept of community in CentOS is that now the actual community (vendors, users, developers, etc) can contribute directly to the direction of Enterprise Linux, and not be just consumers.

Cheers,
          Mike
          Last edited by mroche; 03 December 2021, 10:38 AM.

Comment

R.I.P. centos! Thank you for the past decades. Of course we are not going to be beta testers for Redhat (at least not without payment). Branding your beta Stream as CentOS is an insult.

Already migrated to AlmaLinux. Nice to meet you Alma

Comment

Originally posted by Setif View Post
              If I have understood well:
              Fedora = RHEL Beta
              CentOS Stream = RHEL RC
              You need to look at Stream as RHEL Beta through RC, along the way an RHEL release comes out.

Fedora can feed into Stream, but AFAIK, it's a cherry pick.

But, feel free to correct me on that.

Comment

Is it possile to upgrade from Stream 8 to Stream 9 without reinstalling?

Comment

Originally posted by Tomin View Post
                  Is it possile to upgrade from Stream 8 to Stream 9 without reinstalling?
                  At the present point in time there is no official migration path from Stream 8 to Stream 9 without reprovisioning.

Yes you can technically adjust repos and attempt a dnf distro-sync, but I would only do that if you want to see what happens after you back up all your data and if you don't particularly care about the system. Good chance configurations will be bust, etc, but can always be a fun experiment /shrug.

Cheers,
                  Mike

Comment

mroche

Thanks fot the balanced reply and response to a previous posting here. I wasn’t going to be so nice

As much ad I know people are disappointed in CentOS changing course, I make this next comment based on it being a done deal, and looking at things going forward: I like the relationship between Fedora, CentOS Stream, and RHEL as explained in main post and your further clarification.

As far as beta testers, I’ll take it for a spin. And yes, there is Rocky and Alma to fill the void left by the change. The change is a done deal, tine for me to “roll” forward.

Comment

Working...
                    X