Xen 4.16 Released With Improved Performance, Expanded Hardware Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xen 4.16 Released With Improved Performance, Expanded Hardware Support

Phoronix: Xen 4.16 Released With Improved Performance, Expanded Hardware Support

Xen 4.16 is shipping today as the latest major release to this open-source hypervisor that continues to be hosted by the Linux Foundation...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

In before "the 3 users of Xen will be happy"... ;p

Comment

I tried Xen briefly. I struggled with it, but I think that was mostly me being stupid. But it didn't help that almost every document/guide I could find on it would talk about controlling it using a program which didn't appear to exist in the Xen install...

Comment

Still no native Linux client to manage this thing and XenOrchestra web client is incomplete...

My experience with this thing was terrible so far, but I also used some outdated instances and it might get better, but idk. Never tried to set it up nyself, but I'm not encouraged either

Comment

Honestly, I feel like the era of xen is over now that qemu does everything xen does from a virtualization perspective. Maybe xen has more features for hosted vm infra or something, but I haven't messed with that since kubernetes and aws existed

Comment

Originally posted by partcyborg View Post
            since kubernetes and aws existed
            And that's basically why 'you feel'. You just don't touch this part of infrastructure, AWS does it for you, so you don't notice it and 'feel it's not needed' while your stuff still works on its foundation.

Comment

Xen works pretty well. We use it with xcp-ng, so it's not exactly the very latest kernels. However it does work well and is very stable for us. XOA is nearly complete management. You do need to use command line for more advanced configs.

One thing xen has for it is NUMA aware scheduling. Together with epyc ccx as NUMA node, it can bring really nice speedups. Is this possible with qemu?

https://wiki.tnonline.net/w/Blog/Xen...e_as_NUMA_Node

Comment

Working...
              X