Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazon Announces C7g AWS Instances Coming Powered By Graviton3

Phoronix: Amazon Announces C7g AWS Instances Coming Powered By Graviton3

Amazon Web Services today shared that C7g instances are coming powered by Graviton3, their next-gen in-house AArch64 processors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Are these processors available for purchase? I wish they were...

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      I think not, but I wish they were.
      I think Alibaba made some high-performance open source RISC-V CPU too, but also not available for purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        Graviton isn't which is the point, however you can buy Ampere Altra CPUs using the same Neoverse N1 core as Graviton 2 but with 25% more cores and 32% higher frequency.

Comment

Originally posted by PerformanceExpert View Post
          you can buy Ampere Altra CPUs using the same Neoverse N1 core as Graviton 2 but with 25% more cores and 32% higher frequency.
          Awww... please tell us something we don't know, like what kind of core these are using! I'm sure you have some ideas about that.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
            Awww... please tell us something we don't know, like what kind of core these are using! I'm sure you have some ideas about that.
            just saw speculation of it being N2

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
              just saw speculation of it being N2
              That doesn't fit with it offering only 25% speedup, though. It could, but that's a little low, according to what ARM has said. Here's ARM's performance analysis, assuming the same manufacturing process and clock speed.

Source: https://www.anandtech.com/show/16640...-cmn700-mesh/6

So, Amazon would either be seriously low-balling the performance or else they actually dropped the clock speed by 5% or so. And Graviton 2 already ran at a relatively low clock speed.

Comment

That doesn't fit with it offering only 25% speedup, though. It could, but that's a little low, according to what ARM has said. Here's ARM's performance analysis, assuming the same manufacturing process and clock speed.

Source: https://www.anandtech.com/show/16640...-cmn700-mesh/6

So, Amazon would either be seriously low-balling the performance or else they actually dropped the clock speed by 5% or so. And Graviton 2 already ran at a relatively low clock speed.
                I think the advertised perf uplift has been lowballed - that and AWS will be wanting to keep power low for $ reasons if they can

Comment

V1. It’s 8-wide like V1, and SVE, not SVE2.

Comment

Originally posted by name99 View Post
                    V1. It’s 8-wide like V1, and SVE, not SVE2.
                    Ah, yes. For some reason, it didn't even occur to me they'd use V1 cores. I guess probably because I think of Graviton as their main cloud workhorse, whereas V-series seems like more of a HPC-type core.

At the very least, I'd have expected them to use some special designation, like calling them Graviton 3c, because it'll be awkward when they introduce a N2-based CPU that further increases integer performance but actually reduces FPU (per-core, at least). And given the area- & power- efficiency advantages of N2, I'm sure it's coming.

Comment

Working...
                    X