Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Posts Linux Patches Bringing Up Alder Lake N Graphics

Phoronix: Intel Posts Linux Patches Bringing Up Alder Lake N Graphics

With the graphics driver support for Alder Lake S-series in good shape with Linux 5.16 and the Alder Lake P-series support also coming together for upcoming ADL-based laptops, next up is the Alder Lake N enablement happening for Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It would be nice if Intel's developers would post Linux patches bringing up Alder Lake Thread Director.

Comment

I hope Intel would release an Alder Lake with a good iGPU that can compete with the iGPU offering in AMD Ryzen.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        I hope Intel would release an Alder Lake with a good iGPU that can compete with the iGPU offering in AMD Ryzen.
        Intel Iris XE is actually just that. I have it on my OneXPlayer handheld and it trades blows with the best APU offerings right now for gaming. On Linux, however, the graphics have a ton of issues with flickering, artifact, and geometry/vegetation disappearing/reappearing in almost all games. I can play a shockingly large amount of games at 1080p 60 fps medium settings, older titles back in 2013 or so area at 1600x2560 resolution as well. It's a HUGE leap in performance from the Intel HD 630 I have on a few other devices.

Comment

Originally posted by ruinairas View Post

Intel Iris XE is actually just that. I have it on my OneXPlayer handheld and it trades blows with the best APU offerings right now for gaming. On Linux, however, the graphics have a ton of issues with flickering, artifact, and geometry/vegetation disappearing/reappearing in almost all games. I can play a shockingly large amount of games at 1080p 60 fps medium settings, older titles back in 2013 or so area at 1600x2560 resolution as well. It's a HUGE leap in performance from the Intel HD 630 I have on a few other devices.
          Yes, but OneXPlayer is a handheld console, and it uses the 11th generation Tiger Lake. I was thinking of a separately sold 12th generation Alder Lake CPU.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Yes, but OneXPlayer is a handheld console, and it uses the 11th generation Tiger Lake. I was thinking of a separately sold 12th generation Alder Lake CPU.
            AMD needs a separate line for the iGPU enabled systems. Intel doesn't. Desktops don't need a powerful iGPU and some people complain even the 32EU iGPU is a waste. Same reason why the -H chips only have a 32EU GPU. By putting in a 96EU iGPU it's still not powerful enough to play most games and end up in the office computers idling 99% of the time anyway.

Laptops actually need the iGPU.

Alderlake is going to do the same thing. The 28W and lower power parts get the 96EU. The 45W and above all get the 32EU.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidC1 View Post

AMD needs a separate line for the iGPU enabled systems. Intel doesn't. Desktops don't need a powerful iGPU and some people complain even the 32EU iGPU is a waste. Same reason why the -H chips only have a 32EU GPU. By putting in a 96EU iGPU it's still not powerful enough to play most games and end up in the office computers idling 99% of the time anyway.

Laptops actually need the iGPU.

Alderlake is going to do the same thing. The 28W and lower power parts get the 96EU. The 45W and above all get the 32EU.
              I am a developer, not a gamer, so I don't want to waste money on a expensive, big, power hungry, noisy graphics card. So I like a CPU with a integrated GPU.
              However, sometimes, albeit very rarely, it happens that I want to play some game, usually an older game, or a indie/casual game, so then I would like the integrated GPU to be able to drive those games.

Comment

I am a developer, not a gamer, so I don't want to waste money on a expensive, big, power hungry, noisy graphics card. So I like a CPU with a integrated GPU.
                Same here. So I cannot be overly excited about the gaming benchmarks, number of EU-s and such. Give me 2x4k screens at 60Hz, and preferably consume little power!

Otherwise what I appreciate with intel igpus/drivers are a) their stability (last time I can remember it crashed was back in 2004 or so...) and b) access to essentially unlimited "video" memory, at least way more than what is needed for many desktops. Hope the new drivers are as stable as the old ones. Would love to see how AMD igpu-s perform in that sense but cannot find anything on the web.

Comment

That is disheartening to see that Alder Lake N will probably be end of 2022, early 2023 when them just now enabling it, and that means my dream of an Alder Lake Chromebook is still a ways off. I had gotten excited hearing about an HP Alder Lake model online but I guess it is a ways out. With the Japer lake model I've had my eye on going down to 399 I might just have to snap it up, that or hold out till CES show reveals new models and they discount it more?

Comment

Working...
                  X