Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PHP 8.1 Benchmarks - Continuing The Nice Performance Trajectory

Phoronix: PHP 8.1 Benchmarks - Continuing The Nice Performance Trajectory

PHP 8.1 released on Thursday as the latest major feature release for this programming language. In this article are some benchmarks of PHP 8.1.0 on an AMD EPYC powered Linux server compared to prior releases going as far back as PHP 5.6.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

PHP seems to have evolved greatly and become a nice, modern, good programming language!
    I know it has faced some criticism before, but I think it has evolved good and deserves a second chance and I think much of the previous criticism no longer apply.

The only thing PHP now lacks is generics, generic attributes, and async/await.
    Although I do find "traits" in PHP to be rather weird, they are completely different from what is known as traits in Rust. Also I think traits in PHP was a bad idea, because it introduces "glue", and I think it would be much better solved with horizontal composition through dependency inversion principle where you have a constructor that takes in the dependency.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      PHP seems to have evolved greatly and become a nice, modern, good programming language!
      I know it has faced some criticism before, but I think it has evolved good and deserves a second chance and I think much of the previous criticism no longer apply.

The only thing PHP now lacks is generics, generic attributes, and async/await.
      Although I do find "traits" in PHP to be rather weird, they are completely different from what is known as traits in Rust. Also I think traits in PHP was a bad idea, because it introduces "glue", and I think it would be much better solved with horizontal composition through dependency inversion principle where you have a constructor that takes in the dependency.
      Kudos to your knowledge of the vocabulary if not practical qualifications. This load of buzzwords makes me sleepy. Let me get back to you in the morning.

Comment

How bad can PHP really be?
        This is what I told myself when I took the new job.

Turns out, way worse than I thought.

Comment

@grigri: why everyone says it is bad? I've used it in the past and is a very good language with neat features for web development. It has a c/c++ syntaxe that is a plus.
          Performance wise it should not be more slow than python.
          every other language one needs to build a webserver while php integrates with it.

Comment

Glad I gave up on PHP years ago but these advancements look good. It might've made it almost bearable building Magento sites without their many layers of caching.

Comment

Originally posted by grigi View Post
              How bad can PHP really be?
              This is what I told myself when I took the new job.

Turns out, way worse than I thought.
              Any language is bad if the codebase you are working on sucks

Comment

Originally posted by lamka02sk View Post

Any language is bad if the codebase you are working on sucks
                You gets a meme

89EdaQc.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Gass View Post
                  @grigri: why everyone says it is bad? I've used it in the past and is a very good language with neat features for web development. It has a c/c++ syntaxe that is a plus.
                  Like the article mentions, it was around 20 times slower just few years ago. Hosting sites were still installing php5 or even older distros. Some cms sites also didn't support the later versions. For example I tried to set up dokuwiki. Turns out some of the plugins didn't work with php7. So back to 5.6. You might have different priorities, but a language that's 20x slower than it needs to be just sucks. PHP has only managed to get this far thanks to excessive caching.

Not only that, they have been cleaning up the absolute shit PHP 1-4 was for the last 15 years. Please try php 2 or 3 to see how absolutely horrible it used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                    Like the article mentions, it was around 20 times slower just few years ago. Hosting sites were still installing php5 or even older distros. Some cms sites also didn't support the later versions. For example I tried to set up dokuwiki. Turns out some of the plugins didn't work with php7. So back to 5.6. You might have different priorities, but a language that's 20x slower than it needs to be just sucks. PHP has only managed to get this far thanks to excessive caching.

Not only that, they have been cleaning up the absolute shit PHP 1-4 was for the last 15 years. Please try php 2 or 3 to see how absolutely horrible it used to be.
                    this https://www.jesuisundev.com/en/why-developers-hate-php/ helped to understand the problem.
                    So ... it started with a bad design ... and evoluted from there.

Comment

Working...
                    X