Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting Experimental Vulkan Within QEMU VMs Using Linux 5.16+ Paired With Mesa's Venus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Experimental Vulkan Within QEMU VMs Using Linux 5.16+ Paired With Mesa's Venus

Phoronix: Getting Experimental Vulkan Within QEMU VMs Using Linux 5.16+ Paired With Mesa's Venus

When running on the very latest Linux 5.16 Git kernel paired with recent Mesa and various experimental components to the virtualization stack, it is possible getting at least basic Vulkan acceleration working within QEMU guest virtual machines that in turn is accelerated by the host...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Vulkan / dxvk on Windows guests would be a huge game changer.

Comment

I have been thinking it would be great to have a tiling window manager (e.g. Sway) based Linux installation, and then just run Windows virtualized on one of the virtual desktops in the WM. This would allow me to do what I need to do for work stuff or anything else that is Windows only, while still having Linux as a primary desktop. Does anyone know how close we are to having something like this work with pretty decent Windows guest performance? I do run Windows guests with Virtual Box on Windows hosts (needed as a dedicated install for AD access.) Works okay, but clearly some issues. Anyway, the Linux host running a Windows guest with something more "native" (and lightweight) to Linux than Virtual Box would be cool. Is anyone in the know if this something that may continue to improve going forward? I assume the more pass-through stuff that happens the better. Thanks!

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Additionally, the kernel must be built with UDMABUF emabled.

Comment

Could this be combined with Zink? Would it maybe provide better performance than GL passthrough?

Comment

Linux guests are not exiting anymore. Wake me up when we have accelerated Windows guests.

Comment

LibVF.IO seems pretty interesting for shared GPU multiplexing.

Comment

Originally posted by landeel View Post
                Vulkan / dxvk on Windows guests would be a huge game changer.
                VMware Workstation/Player has this at least for OpenGL and DX9 thru 11. Not Vulkan API support at the guest level yet AFAIK though.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post

VMware Workstation/Player has this at least for OpenGL and DX9 thru 11. Not Vulkan API support at the guest level yet AFAIK though.
                  Yes, but performance is really bad. Most games that run fine on bare metal are unplayable on VM.

Comment

This is very cool, but meaningless to the average user until it's compatible with windows guests.

Comment

Working...
                    X