Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RISC-V With Linux 5.16 Enabling Open-Source NVIDIA Driver As Part Of Default Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RISC-V With Linux 5.16 Enabling Open-Source NVIDIA Driver As Part Of Default Kernel

Phoronix: RISC-V With Linux 5.16 Enabling Open-Source NVIDIA Driver As Part Of Default Kernel

The RISC-V architecture updates were sent out on Friday for targeting the nearly-over Linux 5.16 merge window...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The default configuration "defconfig"

Comment

Coincidentally, the GTX 600/700 series is about all you can afford!

The 980 TI is selling for more than I paid for, years ago. Heck, I bet I could sell mine at its old MSRP.

Comment

One reason for pairing a GTX 780 or older using Nouveau with a RISC-V system over an AMD card is if you plan on running a FLOSS distro. Those won't load blobs from the kernel for firmware which means all AMD cards don't work but Nvidia 700 series or older work just fine with Nouveau. If one were going for an FSF approved distro (or Debian without non free repos) this pairing makes sense to me.

Comment

René Rebe, had hacked the Hifive Unmached to work with AMD RNDA2 RX6700XT,
          #RISCV #CPU #silicon #performance #RISC #Ad: PCs & more @Amazon: https://services.exactcode.de/amzn.cgi?index=books&keywords=rust You can support my work at...

Comment

By they way the nuoveau driver still lacks video acceleration support...

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
              By they way the nuoveau driver still lacks video acceleration support...
              Indeed is lacks... and that is in amd64,
              Now just imagine how things would be in other arch's..

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
                Indeed is lacks... and that is in amd64,
                Now just imagine how things would be in other arch's..
                I can figure out, without video acceleration I can't get YT reproducing a video using Firefox on an old AMD E350 Fusion, only Vivaldi barely get a decent reproduction because it has video acceleration.

Comment

Working...
                X