Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA 470.86 Linux Driver Released With VRR/G-SYNC Fix

Phoronix: NVIDIA 470.86 Linux Driver Released With VRR/G-SYNC Fix

While since the end of October there has been NVIDIA 495.44 as the stable 495 series driver beta for Linux users, out today is their v470.86 release for those using that older long-term support branch...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It seems awful to be an Nvidia user, but if they are fine with this kind of behavior, that their business.
    Personally I value my time and environment too much to be an Nvidia user so AMD and Intel makes me happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      It seems awful to be an Nvidia user, but if they are fine with this kind of behavior, that their business.
      Personally I value my time and environment too much to be an Nvidia user so AMD and Intel makes me happy.
      But do you really value your time?

Commenting the same things in all Nvidia posts. I am sure it is your benevolent nature, you are donating your time in charity to help other Linux users so they do not buy Nvidia.

Next we will have birdie espousing why Nvidia is better and then we will have 80 posts on this driver update.

Comment

vb_linux lol. i cant wait for birdie.

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
          vb_linux lol. i cant wait for birdie.
          I mean we have all exhausted all our material on this topic. We all need what we need to know on AMD vs Nvidia.

So, unless someone has really good new material, please please live in peace and buy the GPU you want(AMD if you can get it else Nvidia )

Comment

I too hate *checks notes* timely and regular bug fixes

Comment

The manufacturer paying the best engineers in the business to fix bugs..... yeah, terrible behaviour.... I guess you think its better to just not pay the driver team anything and leave it to the console developers and Linux community to half fix the issues for free?

Comment

Originally posted by mSparks View Post

The manufacturer paying the best engineers in the business to fix bugs..... yeah, terrible behaviour.... I guess you think its better to just not pay the driver team anything and leave it to the console developers and Linux community to half fix the issues for free?
                With whose money is the manufacturer paying the engineers ?
                It's the customers' money so in the end the customers are paying for everything.

Comment

With whose money is the manufacturer paying the engineers ?
                  It's the customers' money so in the end the customers are paying for everything.
                  What’s even your point? AMD kernel contributions are also paid for by customer money.

Comment

I bought a Powercolor Red Devil 6800XT, it worked nice for two days and then it became non functional. Having no other option after returning it to get another 6800XT 'the price went up steeply' I found myself in a predicament at 1440p using a GTX 1070 which for the past 5 years had been a faithful reliable GPU but not quite still fitting into the performance desired for that particular 2k resolution.

After hours and hours of hunting around for a GPU I settled for barely a grand video card that is? An RTX 3070 no frills model just like my GTX 1070, no frills. I do wonder about the AMD vs Intel vs NVIDIA things that people keep coming up with, sometimes myself even included.

The RTX 3070 works perfectly for my needs at least for the time being, in fact I have tried to find a single thing that annoys me about it besides it being a designed technology from the big green monster. I simply can't, proprietary drivers? A non issue for me. It's their intellectual property, they have the right, I accept and respect their choice. I have had good luck with NVIDIA and for that I am thankful. It just works and performs its duties very well.

I will try AMD again and chalk my bad first experience up to complexities in the current paradigm of manufacturing, the likely culprit due to the world situation.
                    Last edited by creative; 13 November 2021, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X