Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sailfish OS 4.3 Released With Better Android App Support

Phoronix: Sailfish OS 4.3 Released With Better Android App Support

For fans of Jolla's Linux-based smartphone platform, Sailfish OS 4.3 "Suomenlinna" is out today...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ah yes, the proprietary choice around mobile Linux systems.

Comment

Sailfish OS is terribly ugly.
      I would rather have GNOME with Anbox.

Comment

If Pinephone could run it well it would be my daily driver. Afaik only some components are proprietary wich happens in linux distros with nvidia drivers and other blobs. Given the situation i consider it acceptable at least.

Comment

I made a pitch to a Moto product manager to create a phone where there would be an OS choice at first boot. Android, Sailfish or whatever alternative Linux based.

Sort of like the original Linksys WRT54G, turn it into a device that offers firmware choices.

As the IT world knows the WRT54G started the alternative firmware market for home routers, and sales took off for Linksys.

Moto said:

- No way are we going to maintain patches for all these options, I recommended they only patch one (Android). The rest were "as is".
          - BestBuy and other retail were swamped with returns of bricked WRT's by noobs who didn't know how to update them, we don't want that.
          - Carrier contracts will not allow us to sell an "open" unlocked phone in most retail channels

Comment

Interesting choice of release naming.

Suomenlinna a.k.a Sveaborg is a large sea fortress just outside Helsinki.
            (Sveaborg being the original name meaning Castle of the Swedes.)
            Commissioned and built by Swedes when Finland was under Swedish rule mid 1700.

A recommended stroll if you're doing tourist-y stuff in Helsinki.

Comment

I've been to that fort. Worth the visit.

Comment

Sailfish OS keeps being upgraded, this time i just upgraded so i haven't tried it out much yet.
                Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
                Interesting choice of release naming.

Suomenlinna a.k.a Sveaborg is a large sea fortress just outside Helsinki.
                (Sveaborg being the original name meaning Castle of the Swedes.)
                Commissioned and built by Swedes when Finland was under Swedish rule mid 1700.

A recommended stroll if you're doing tourist-y stuff in Helsinki.
                I read the blog and there it was translated to Finnish Castle, Sveaborg sounds better to me as a Swede maybe i should should give it a visit.

Comment

In before somebody calls it ug-

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  Sailfish OS is terribly ugly.
                  I would rather have GNOME with Anbox.
                  Expected your comment!

Comment

I came here to see the dude who always complains about how ugly the UI is. He did not disappoint. Glad to see he's still here with us.

Comment

Working...
                    X