Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org Server Bids Farewell To Autotools

Phoronix: X.Org Server Bids Farewell To Autotools

With X.Org Server 21.1 having finally shipped this week, the X.Org Server Autotools build system support has been killed off...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Can't wait for the next FAD build system to come along and then everyone and their dog will jump again.

Comment

Originally posted by Redfoxmoon View Post
      Can't wait for the next FAD build system to come along and then everyone and their dog will jump again.
      What do you genuinely think is more likely? That Meson presents enough of an advantage that all these free software developers who have worked on decades on major projects are switching over or that it is just a FAD?

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        X.Org Server 21.1 is the last series to have Autotools support -- that is if/when there is ultimately a next major X.Org Server release given it took three years for v21.1 before someone stepped up to manage the release and most Linux distributions transitioning to Wayland-based sessions.
        I realized in life, all it takes is one person. Took Linus to start his hobby project for us to congregate here.

Anyways, thank you again, Povilas Kanapickas. We needed someone to step up. I've seen many others step up also. I thank them also.

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Plus Meson has better cross-platform support, much more modern and easier to maintain, and goes along with the overall trend of open-source projects transitioning over to Meson as the dominant build system of recent years.
        While I love "./configure && make -j($nproc) && sudo make install" I do get we probably needed a new build system.

Comment

All build tools that I know of on Linux use Make, which is 40 years old if not more. I think Meson breaks away from Make so maybe it's new approach is more then a fad

Comment

Not sure what's wrong with Autotools in comparison to Meson, yes, automake and autoconfigure are overcomplicated for no actual reason and make no sense at first at all, but I don't know if Meson solves that problem, if it does, it kinda makes sense to move to it. I mean seriously, learning Autotools is pain in the b... hope Meson isn't like that (hope I will never need to learn it anyway)

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCloud View Post
              All build tools that I know of on Linux use Make, which is 40 years old if not more. I think Meson breaks away from Make so maybe it's new approach is more then a fad
              Some build tools can use other backends. E.g. CMake can use ninja which is more lightweight compared to make (I think it lacks some string manipulation features of make).

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

While I love "./configure && make -j($nproc) && sudo make install" I do get we probably needed a new build system.
                Yeah. It always sucks when "sudo make uninstall" doesn't return that critical system library it replaced.

Out of curiosity: How many Arch users use Arch because we can wrap pretty much any build system inside a PKGBUILD which, IMHO, makes it easy to do custom stuff with dependency resolution? Feel free to replace Arch/PKGBUILD with Gentoo/Emerge or any other distribution and package system that caters building from source.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCloud View Post
                  Have a look at bazel. It doesn't have ninja or make as a backend, it just builds itself.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
                    Anyways, thank you again, Povilas Kanapickas. We needed someone to step up. I've seen many others step up also. I thank them also.
                    There's an alternative to someone stepping up: funding. Povilas mentioned on Hacker News that $4k/m would need to be raised for Xorg to be maintained into the future: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=29019612

Comment

Working...
                    X