Intel Core i9 11900K: Five Linux Distros Show Sizable Lead Over Windows 11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Core i9 11900K: Five Linux Distros Show Sizable Lead Over Windows 11

Phoronix: Intel Core i9 11900K: Five Linux Distros Show Sizable Lead Over Windows 11

Now that Windows 11 has been out as stable and the initial round of updates coming out, I've been running fresh Windows 11 vs. Linux benchmarks for seeing how Microsoft's latest operating system release compares to the fresh batch of Linux distributions. First up is the fresh look at the Windows 11 vs. Linux performance on an Intel Core i9 11900K Rocket Lake system.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Clear is not a desktop distro, so irrelevant. Arch does not have a default desktop installation, wonder what your "default" procedure was. You should test something that's not bogged down by the slow systemd underbelly. Artix has runit and s6 versions which even you could install easily. Very fast.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
      Clear is not a desktop distro, so irrelevant. Arch does not have a default desktop installation, wonder what your "default" procedure was. You should test something that's not bogged down by the slow systemd underbelly. Artix has runit and s6 versions which even you could install easily. Very fast.
      While it doesn't have a default desktop, Arch does offer desktop profiles in its installer. Since Arch was using GNOME just like the rest of the Linux desktops tested it makes it a fair comparison.

Clear offers a Live Desktop iso and installation instructions

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

While it doesn't have a default desktop, Arch does offer desktop profiles in its installer. Since Arch was using GNOME just like the rest of the Linux desktops tested it makes it a fair comparison.

Clear offers a Live Desktop iso and installation instructions
        This guy gets it. Even if you hid his username, would have known it was skeevy420.

Michael has been doing this for decades, but some who frequent his website think they know everything. It’s humorous.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
          Please explain me how systemd slows down a distro. i am very interested in your technical insights

Comment

There was hopping Win 11 would correct its notoriously bad CPU core scaling performance. Personally I am curious if they managed to fix the second gen Threadripper performance issues, exposed wide open at the time by the Indigo benchmark, among others.

Michael, do you still have one of those TR 2990WX lying around?

Comment

I don't have to read past the configuration details to know which OS is going to win:

Windows 11 Pro: CPU Microcode: 0000000040000000-
              Ubuntu 21.10: Scaling Governor: intel_pstate powersave
              Arch Linux: Scaling Governor: intel_pstate powersave
              Fedora Workstation 35: Scaling Governor: intel_pstate powersave
              Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS: Scaling Governor: intel_pstate powersave
              Clear Linux 35150: Scaling Governor: intel_pstate performance

Kernel Details- Ubuntu 21.10: Transparent Huge Pages: madvise-
              Arch Linux: Transparent Huge Pages: madvise-
              Fedora Workstation 35: Transparent Huge Pages: madvise-
              Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS: Transparent Huge Pages: madvise-
              Clear Linux 35150: Transparent Huge Pages: always

Ubuntu 21.10: --with-arch-32=i686 --with-tune=generic
              Arch Linux:
              Fedora Workstation 35: --with-arch_32=i686 --with-tune=generic
              Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS: --with-arch-32=i686 --with-tune=generic
              Clear Linux 35150: --with-arch=x86-64-v3 --with-tune=skylake-avx512

Me doing a Morty impersonation: Jeez, I wonder who's going to win, Jeez?

What I don't understand is why every distro vendor, when the blueprint for better performance is so obvious, doesn't release a "high performance" build, with the defaults that Clear Linux uses.

Lastly, by default Win 11 uses a "Balanced" power plan, I know Michael said he wanted to test the "out of the box" configurations, but anyone tech savvy enough to install either Linux or Windows 11 is going to be savvy enough to tune the system for maximum performance. That means changing the Win 11 default power plan to "Ultimate" and Linux to performance:

Change Power Plan to High Performance Windows 11 [Tutorial]Windows sets all PCs to a “Balanced” power plan by default. But there are also “Power saver” and “...

https://www.linuxuprising.com/2020/1...encies-on.html

https://www.linuxuprising.com/2019/0...rformance.html

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
                Clear Linux 35150: Scaling Governor: intel_pstate performance
                Clear Linux 35150: Transparent Huge Pages: always
                Clear Linux 35150: --with-arch=x86-64-v3 --with-tune=skylake-avx512

What I don't understand is why every distro vendor, when the blueprint for better performance is so obvious, doesn't release a "high performance" build, with the defaults that Clear Linux uses.
                The first two are easy to switch. Any power user can easily change those when needed.

Comment

I like putting the Geometric Mean on the first page, the circular breakdown would be nice to (the line not the pie chart).

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

Performance for which generation of hardware? Who is the distribution targeting? Hardware quirks are a Thing. Certain switches will kill performance on certain generations and entirely switched off or non-existent in others. AVX-512 comes immediately to mind. Intel SKUs are effin Byzantine. Distros are going to get the same flack Microsoft got if they suddenly told users of an arbitrary generation of hardware and earlier "Take a hike".
                    Last edited by stormcrow; 26 October 2021, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X