Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pat Gelsinger's Open-Source Bias, Intel's Pledge To Openness

Phoronix: Pat Gelsinger's Open-Source Bias, Intel's Pledge To Openness

Ahead of Intel's inaugural Intel Innovation event taking place virtually later this week, Intel CEO Pat Gelsinger published an open letter to an open ecosystem...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great! So publish the source of the Intel Management Engine then!

Comment

NVIDIA needs to learn from this.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post
        Great! So publish the source of the Intel Management Engine then!
        The problem is that it appears this "openness pledge" only focuses on professional and academic sides, but not on the consumer side :<

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          The problem is that it appears this "openness pledge" only focuses on professional and academic sides, but not on the consumer side :<
          IME is mostly an enterprise-oriented feature, though.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
            IME is mostly an enterprise-oriented feature, though.
            You probably mean AMT which runs on IME

Comment

Sure, sure. Intel's pledge to Open Source.
              Outside of FW binary blobs and HW oopsies, why not?
              They get to keep their spyware while baiting suckers with "open source"...

Comment

I really am hoping that when Intel releases their PCI-E GPU that gets coupled with a GUI similar to what they offer on the Windows side.(it can look completely differently, I just want the features) Truth be told I want a better one with more controls but at least some feature parity and some decent controls would be nice.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...ics-Panel-2021

Comment

investments into open-source software and open standards.
                  It doesn't make much of a difference if every company have their own "open standard".
                  Really sad that Clover didn't bring vendors together for compute as the OpenGL state traker did for graphics.

Comment

All I see are a bunch of marketing buzzwords strung together slightly more skillfully than the average cheerleading press release. I applaud Intel's past efforts at maintaining a large portfolio of open source contributions. But the fundamental pieces in the x86 general "stack" are still closed source such as the OS & software that powers IME. We still need blobs to bring up Intel CPUs and chipsets. Additionally it would be nice, for those that can read such things, to see the source code for the Intel Microcode. Getting behind Coreboot in a big way will fix the HUGE EFFING MESS they created when they published the over-engineered, awful piece of crap base specification of UEFI. All they did was replace one ef-up, BIOS, with a bigger one, UEFI.

Comment

Working...
                    X