Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 22.04 LTS "Jammy Jellyfish" Begins Development

Phoronix: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS "Jammy Jellyfish" Begins Development

Canonical today formally opened the "Jammy" archive for development for what will be the next version of Ubuntu, 22.04 LTS "Jammy Jellyfish"...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great news. Looking forward to this release cycle. Hope Canonical focuses more on stability and makes this a rock solid Ubuntu release. IMO, this is actually a 1 years development cycle that starts now, 6 months for release and another 6 months for the first point release. Then after that 9+ years of free security updates is a blessing and shows how far we have come.

This goes without saying, good luck to the the most important Linux OS for another great development cycle and release.

Comment

Great! These days Ubuntu is pretty much my standard for servers due to its great ZFS support. I just hope they finally add the ability to install to a ZFS root on servers.
      Last edited by Chugworth; 18 October 2021, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Please drop snap in favor of flatpak.

Comment

They have mentioned gnome 42 on the release schedule, but are there any actual plans to update to it?

The past couple of releases they have stayed 1 version behind - and these havent been LTS releases so would normally require less maintenance overhead.

I hope they do decide to use gnome 42, but right now I would be more sceptical than not until they make a specific announcement.

(gnome-shell 42 could end up being a big release with invasive changes if the port to ES6 takes place. There are currently atleast 2 different WIP merge requests for this in place.)

Comment

Originally posted by om26er View Post
            Then after that 9+ years of free security updates...
            Only for a small number of packages.
            Most software doesn't get 10 years of updates.

Comment

Missing the most important question: Wayland as default or not?

Comment

Originally posted by furtadopires View Post
                Missing the most important question: Wayland as default or not?
                Wayland is already the default in the latest Ubuntu releases....
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael View Post
                  Please drop snap in favor of flatpak.
                  100 percent. I tried giving it a chance. Slow start up on a fresh boot. But after the first startup, it's quick. But on a native debian package, it doesn't fall victim to this.

Aside from that, I just don't *need* a snap package unless I actually need it (multipass, for example).

Having said that, I agree with the decision of making Firefox a snap as it allows for automatic updating and keeping the user up to date. With an apt package, who knows, they might never run the update and run an outdated insecure browser.

Sure, they'll have a slow startup once in a while, but that's a tradeoff worth making given they'll be secure browsing the web. The rest of us can just uninstall the snap and install the apt package. It's probably a small set of users that use Ubuntu (and not debian, arch, etc) that would bother doing this (like me).

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
                    (..)Sure, they'll have a slow startup once in a while, but that's a tradeoff worth making given they'll be secure browsing the web.
                    Not a trade-off, a bad package strategy. If they used flatpak the startup time would be much less taxing compared to .snap packages.

Comment

Working...
                    X