No announcement yet.

Radeon Software 21.30 PRO vs. Mesa 21.3-devel + Linux 5.15 Gaming Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon Software 21.30 PRO vs. Mesa 21.3-devel + Linux 5.15 Gaming Performance

Phoronix: Radeon Software 21.30 PRO vs. Mesa 21.3-devel + Linux 5.15 Gaming Performance

For those wondering how AMD's latest-generation Radeon RX 6000 series is competing now between the Linux driver options of AMD's official Radeon Software for Linux 21.30 "PRO" driver stack and the latest upstream, fully open-source driver components from Mesa and the mainline Linux kernel, here is a fresh comparison.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Some will probably disagree with me, but I prefer seeing tests like these with the latest stable Mesa instead of Mesa devel, since stable Mesa is what most people are using. (On Ubuntu it's possible to install the latest stable Mesa via Kisak PPA). Also, idk if it's still true these days, but at least in the past, Mesa devel often had slightly decreased performance compared to the latest stable versions (probably because of regressions during the development phase).

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
      Some will probably disagree with me, but I prefer seeing tests like these with the latest stable Mesa instead of Mesa devel, since stable Mesa is what most people are using.
      Disagree, Michael looks into the future. Look his latest articles on Mesa and Kernel and you will see WHY he chosen those exact versions in benchmark.

Comment

Some will probably disagree with me, but I prefer seeing tests like these with the latest stable Mesa instead of Mesa devel, since stable Mesa is what most people are using.
        I agree with you, these mesa-devel tests are only useful when comparing with older versions to see the performance evolution and what to expect from future.
        Last edited by jonix; 06 October 2021, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post

Disagree, Michael looks into the future. Look his latest articles on Mesa and Kernel and you will see WHY he chosen those exact versions in benchmark.
          Don't know which articles are you referring to, but of course I know there may be certain performance improvements in Mesa devel, for example NGG stuff (I guess that's what you're referring to). However, that still doesn't mean performance will be exactly the same as future stable versions like 21.3, which is what most people will use and that's what important.
          Last edited by user1; 06 October 2021, 03:32 PM.

Comment

I'm really surprised that the open source driver performs so well, I'm so used seeing the abysmal performance of the Nouveau driver vs the Nvidia driver.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
              I'm really surprised that the open source driver performs so well, I'm so used seeing the abysmal performance of the Nouveau driver vs the Nvidia driver.
              What makes you think the situation with Nouveau would be at all comparable with that of RadeonSI? The former is a reversed enginered driver without any help or documentation from Nvidia. The latter is developed by AMD engineers with the help of other independent developers having full documentation available for the GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by jonix View Post

I agree with you, these mesa-devel tests are only useful when comparing with older versions to see the performance evolution and what to expect from future.
                Thats because AMD actively supports and provides their own devs for Linux kernel support and Nvidia at best does not actively stand in 3rd party developer way.
                With Nvidia its either use binary driver or don't at all.

With that said their binary driver is top notch and highly competitive on quality/performance vs open source AMD driver.

Comment

Don't know which articles are you referring to, but of course I know there may be certain performance improvements in Mesa devel, for example NGG stuff (I guess that's what you're referring to). However, that still doesn't mean performance will be exactly the same as future stable versions like 21.3, which is what most people will use and that's what important.
                  Last article on Mesa improvements and last article on Kernel AMD gpu driver improvement.
                  Also consider this, Mesa/kernel have super fast development what is Beta now, in a month is accepted as production quality in Linux kernel directly or into Mainstream Mesa. I often try non stable Mesa and Kernel and simply forget about them for a month or two...
                  Last edited by dimko; 06 October 2021, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tomas View Post

What makes you think the situation with Nouveau would be at all comparable with that of RadeonSI? The former is a reversed enginered driver without any help or documentation from Nvidia. The latter is developed by AMD engineers with the help of other independent developers having full documentation available for the GPU.
                    Except that pretty much all benchmarks here were utilising RADV instead of RadeonSI, which AMD's developers unfortunately still refuse to even touch!

Comment

Working...
                    X