Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• helloSystem 0.6 Released For macOS-Inspired FreeBSD

Phoronix: helloSystem 0.6 Released For macOS-Inspired FreeBSD

Version 0.6 of helloSystem is now available as the FreeBSD-based open-source operating system project taking design cues from Apple's macOS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Just tried to install it and test it via vmware player, no go.

Would have liked to see what it had to offer.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
      Just tried to install it and test it via vmware player, no go.

Would have liked to see what it had to offer.
      use virtualbox without 3d

Comment

Just looks like a re-skin. Meh. If' you want a real clone of OSX start hacking on GNUstep/Applications and get a desktop based on gnustep finished. Like NextSpace have done (Altho NextSpace took shortcuts with how they wrote their apps). Start with systempreferences.app plugins for pipewire/network-manager/wayland/Xrandr. Then you need to finish a browser and a few other apps (I suggest either wrapping Chrome/Mozilla, or actually finishing adding webkit to Vespucci.app). Guess there just aren't enough devs that want an Apple clone that can program Objective-C out there.
        Last edited by DMJC; 02 October 2021, 05:13 PM.

Comment

I was going to say that the picture included with the article was a bit outdated. But then I clicked through to the release and wow, while it's not the windows 95 clone most DEs try to be, it's certainly of the era.

Comment

Originally posted by Devorlon View Post
            I was going to say that the picture included with the article was a bit outdated. But then I clicked through to the release and wow, while it's not the windows 95 clone most DEs try to be, it's certainly of the era.
            The lead developer is a firm proponent of (I think) the Apple system design manual 1994 and will often try to get into discussions how others systems design choices do not match what the manual said. (Not whether it is better or worse, but whether it matched the manual.)

He has interesting ideas, but unlike most who disagree with the direction other software is taking, he is willing to put the work in (HelloSystem and AppImage), so kudos to him. It will be interesting to see where this all ends up.

Comment

AppImage is a great tool when implemented correctly (all deps actually satisfied), and I've learned gnome can be extremely hostile to it (that or I can't figure out how to add arbitrary files to the dash) which I think explains a lot of the hate for it. It's not a do-all, but where it works, it works great.

Comment

Nice job, but still BSD

Comment

Originally posted by Snaipersky View Post
                  AppImage is a great tool when implemented correctly (all deps actually satisfied), and I've learned gnome can be extremely hostile to it (that or I can't figure out how to add arbitrary files to the dash) which I think explains a lot of the hate for it. It's not a do-all, but where it works, it works great.
                  You won't ve able to add arbitrary files to the dash, but I believe there is a tool that adds your appimages to the apps directory and manages desktop entries automatically

Comment

Originally posted by Snaipersky View Post
                    Have you tried https://github.com/probonopd/go-appimage/blob/master/src/appimaged/README.md ?

Comment

Working...
                    X