Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.16 To Support Sensor Readings On More ASUS Motherboards

Phoronix: Linux 5.16 To Support Sensor Readings On More ASUS Motherboards

With a change to the nct6775 hardware monitoring sensor driver, more ASUS motherboards should enjoy working sensor support come Linux 5.16...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's not like it didn't work before, it just required an unsupported hack. The whole saga is here: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=204807

It's taken two years to make it work properly, courtesy of Denis Pauk.

Comment

And it doesn't support the asus prime x399. I guess I'll stick to openrgb and their supplied patch.

Comment

Finally! I won't have to patch and build my own kernel any more. That will save some time.

Comment

It looks like it is just some third-party contributor from a gmail address, not anything official.

From Asus I would really like to see firmware updates over LFVS. That and coreboot support.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            It looks like it is just some third-party contributor from a gmail address, not anything official.

From Asus I would really like to see firmware updates over LFVS. That and coreboot support.
            And what's wrong with an individual willing to improve Linux?? Companies supporting Linux primarily do that to further their bottom line - they couldn't care less about Linux on the desktop which Phoronix is kinda dedicated to. If Linux on the desktop improves after their contributions it's mainly a byproduct, not their primary interest. So, far the only company which has really been improving Linux on the desktop was Valve and only Valve. And if you think they do it because they "love" Linux? Nope, they do it to earn more by selling Steam Deck and games for it.

Comment

I have ASUS TUF B550M+ and I'm disappointed with their Linux support.

The board has been around since spring last year, yet still:
              - sensors don't work
              - it's hard to turn off RGB leds
              - ethernet driver needs a recompile after each kernel update or ethernet won't work.

Comment

Originally posted by pkese View Post
                I have ASUS TUF B550M+ and I'm disappointed with their Linux support.

The board has been around since spring last year, yet still:
                - sensors don't work
                - it's hard to turn off RGB leds
                - ethernet driver needs a recompile after each kernel update or ethernet won't work.
                - This patch should fix it. If you don't want to wait, pass ` acpi_enforce_resources=lax` as a kernel argument.
                - Please try OpenRGB.
                - Have you posted a bug report?

I'm not sure what is it that you're disappointed with. There's no such thing as "Linux" per se, vs. for instance Windows or MacOS. Linux is being advanced by companies which use it for their infrastructure and supporting a desktop motherboard is the least of their concerns or by individuals who want to dedicate their spare time to the things they use under Linux. It turns out there aren't that many skilled individuals with exactly your motherboard.

You signed up almost three years ago and you're talking as if you're totally new to Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

I'm not sure what is it that you're disappointed with. There's no such thing as "Linux" per se, vs. for instance Windows or MacOS.
                  That's precisely what is wrong with desktop Linux. There is no one "Linux", just a clusterf**k of distributions purposely designed to be incompatible with another.

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                  Linux is being advanced by companies which use it for their infrastructure and supporting a desktop motherboard is the least of their concerns or by individuals who want to dedicate their spare time to the things they use under Linux. It turns out there aren't that many skilled individuals with exactly your motherboard.

You signed up almost three years ago and you're talking as if you're totally new to Linux.
                  Unfortunately, the lusers seem to think that board vendors have an obligation to make their hardware compatible with the clusterf**k of distributions.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

That's precisely what is wrong with desktop Linux. There is no one "Linux", just a clusterf**k of distributions purposely designed to be incompatible with another.

Unfortunately, the lusers seem to think that board vendors have an obligation to make their hardware compatible with the clusterf**k of distributions.
                    That's sadly true and a big problem

Comment

Working...
                    X