Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jolla Releases Sailfish OS 4.2 For Continuing To Improve This Linux-Based Smartphone OS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jolla Releases Sailfish OS 4.2 For Continuing To Improve This Linux-Based Smartphone OS

Phoronix: Jolla Releases Sailfish OS 4.2 For Continuing To Improve This Linux-Based Smartphone OS

Jolla this week released Sailfish OS 4.2 "Verla" as the newest version of this Linux-based smartphone operating system that continues to be made commercially available for various devices...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow this thing looks ugly!

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Really as opposed to what exactly?

Comment

agree
        it has this gloomy design since version 1.0
        I think they need some fresh(sunny) look!

Comment

One need to approve permissions for native apps after update.

Comment

I'm surprised Jolla has not yet gone bankrupt, I still don't really understand what they make money from.
            Really happy to see their OS improving, even though I'm not a user myself.

Comment

Exactly what I expected: your usual comment about its looks.

Don't get me wrong: it's not that I disagree with you, but repeating the same post over and over whenever there's an article about SFOS is not exactly helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Exactly what I expected: your usual comment about its looks.

Don't get me wrong: it's not that I disagree with you, but repeating the same post over and over whenever there's an article about SFOS is not exactly helpful.
                It is still ugly, it was ugly, and continues to be ugly. They also sell it for $49 and available for those who would like to downgrade their Sony mobile devices from beautiful Android to ugly Sailfish OS.

Comment

I honestly think this is an interesting OS.
                  I can imagine to try it out, but I could not find an information, if Android Apps and Android Activity is really sandboxed away from the core OS and my Data.

50€ for an OS respecting my privacy? Why not!

Comment

I am an enthusiast(ic) user of Sailfish OS, but a significant near-term challenge is VoLTE. The OS doesn't support VoLTE calling yet, probably because oFono doesn't, and as many service providers either are turning off their 3G networks or plan to do so in the near future, it could be curtains for Sailfish OS.

Jolla licensed their OS for use in Russia which has a related (fork) called Aurora OS, and various things are backported from Aurora OS to Sailfish OS. If Russian telecommunications service providers want VoLTE, then there is a chance it'll arrive in Sailfish OS, but the auguries are not currently looking good.

I really, really hope Sailfish OS succeeds. It's a mobile OS not controlled by the big two, and offers choice and competition. At the moment the mobile OS market is a bit like visiting the America Midwest and asking about local music, to get the reply "Oh, we got both kinds. We got Country and Western"*.

*You win 1 (one) Internet if you get the reference.

Comment

Working...
                    X