Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Van Gogh Audio Driver Lands For Linux 5.15

Phoronix: AMD Van Gogh Audio Driver Lands For Linux 5.15

The sound/audio drivers have landed for the ongoing Linux 5.15 kernel driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I was talking to AMD engineers while this was being developed and apparently this APU line has an issue where the left channel will suddenly cut out.

Comment

Nice the software is out, shame about the worldwide dearth of silicon that keeps rumbling on.

Comment

Zen 2? Really? Zen 3 has been out since last year I believe and they are planning on launching another Zen 2 apu? I know there are long lead times in chip development, but this is getting silly.

Comment

There is a video of the settings on the Steam Deck showing the video card is AMD VANGOGH.

Comment

Originally posted by Vorpal View Post
            Zen 2? Really? Zen 3 has been out since last year I believe and they are planning on launching another Zen 2 apu? I know there are long lead times in chip development, but this is getting silly.
            This one has been in the works for a while and is a bit more than just another Zen 2 APU. It's the next phase of their long-term enterprise and consumer device APU market.

And, frankly, it's a great place for them to draw their line in the sand for consumer, enterprise, industrial, etc gear. Zen 2. RDNA 2. DDR5. All that combined can make a 1080p gaming system. If it can do that then I reckon it can cover most any task you're not using a server for if you put it in the right form factor, case, etc...like, I wouldn't expect a Steam Deck or PS5 to survive too long out on the shop floor as an industrial CAD PC.
            Last edited by skeevy420; 02 September 2021, 08:41 AM.

Comment

A shiny new driver is needed for supporting the new AMD ACP5x audio co-processor debuting with Van Gogh APUs that have yet to officially launch.
              Is Rembrandt also getting that audio co-processor?

Comment

Originally posted by Vorpal View Post
                One of the places this APU is supposedly targeted at is things like chromebooks. But I could see it going into TVs, streaming devices, in store displays etc. Not every machine has to be a gaming monster with water cooling. This APU has really good multimedia capabilities and I have been excited about it since I first heard about it. It has 4K AV1 deoide in hardware. This should be king for fanless HTPC builds if some one sticks it in a mini ATX case.

Besides flip it around RDNA2 has been out for how long, yet you see the latest Zen combined with Vega or even Polaris.

I am very curious about that audio chip. Are they using audio ray tracing for some thing like 3D audio? I am looking forward to an official announcement at some point.

Comment

one major problem here, Van Gough was an artist not a musician

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post

One of the places this APU is supposedly targeted at is things like chromebooks. But I could see it going into TVs, streaming devices, in store displays etc. Not every machine has to be a gaming monster with water cooling. This APU has really good multimedia capabilities and I have been excited about it since I first heard about it. It has 4K AV1 deoide in hardware. This should be king for fanless HTPC builds if some one sticks it in a mini ATX case.

Besides flip it around RDNA2 has been out for how long, yet you see the latest Zen combined with Vega or even Polaris.

I am very curious about that audio chip. Are they using audio ray tracing for some thing like 3D audio? I am looking forward to an official announcement at some point.
                    Van Gogh could be the budget 7nm contender for a long time. Small die size from being only 4 cores and Zen 2 being slightly smaller than Zen 3. As other products move to 5nm, TSMC 7nm will get cheaper or at least more plentiful.

AMD wants RDNA2 to become the new graphics and machine learning baseline, as it will be put in everything from Raphael desktop CPUs and Samsung Exynos smartphones, the current RX 6000 GPUs and an upcoming refresh on 6nm, and the Van Gogh and Rembrandt APUs.

The only thing that could rival Van Gogh would be the rumored Monet with Zen 3 cores and RDNA2 graphics on GlobalFoundries 12LP+. That should be even cheaper, but less efficient for fanless devices.

I think VCN 3.0 might be capable of 8K AV1 decode, but not 8K60.
                    Last edited by jaxa; 04 September 2021, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X