Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some Of The Features Expected For Linux 5.15: DG2/Alchemist, BPF Timers, DAMON + More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Of The Features Expected For Linux 5.15: DG2/Alchemist, BPF Timers, DAMON + More

Phoronix: Some Of The Features Expected For Linux 5.15: DG2/Alchemist, BPF Timers, DAMON + More

If all goes according to plan the Linux 5.14 kernel will be released as stable today. Linux 5.14 has many new features but there is also a lot of work slated for the next cycle, Linux 5.15. Here's a look...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

- A global counter on block/disk changes is coming as motivated by systemd and Microsoft developers.

So, it has come to this.

Comment

The link to btrfs verify is wrong

Comment

One notes still a bit of btrfs churn. Allegedly, this sort of thing is why RHEL and CentOS Stream have dropped support for the format.

Fedora by default installs on btrfs. But Fedora goes through kernels like a hot knife through butter. Then throws them out.

RHEL tends to hold on to them. For sentimental reasons. For RHEL, stratis is (again allegedly) the Next Big Thing.

Allegedly. I've built a new workstation and am trying to install Fedora. I intend to dual-boot with CentOS Stream 9 next summer, after Stream 9 becomes a thing. So I'd like to install Fedora 34 (and/or CentOS Stream 8, but preferably fc34 as that will upstream CentOS Stream 9) on a stratis filesystem. But Anaconda, even in the most recent fc34 re-spin, doesn't speak stratis. There's a brief note at https://stratis-storage.github.io/st...using-anaconda that suggests at one time in the recent past Anaconda knew how, but the author doesn't say when or at what version, and Anaconda has apparently since forgotten.

(Yes Rahul, I did file a bugzilla. Thanks for asking.)

My /boot is in a separate ext4 partition. I'll try installing Fedora root to an ext4 partition as well, copy the result to where I'd like it to live under /dev/stratis, hack efi/fedora/grub.cfg, and see how it goes.

Not quite ready for prime time. There has been progress, and I realize there's a couple-ten months before CentOS Stream 9, but considering the importance Red Hat are (allegedly) pinning on this stratis thing, they might put just a wee bit more effort into making it actually usable.

/snark
        Last edited by pipe13; 29 August 2021, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X