Reverse Engineering & Bring-Up Of Linux On The Apple Silicon M1 Continues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverse Engineering & Bring-Up Of Linux On The Apple Silicon M1 Continues

Phoronix: Reverse Engineering & Bring-Up Of Linux On The Apple Silicon M1 Continues

A new status report has been published by the developers of "Asahi Linux" that are continuing to work on providing Linux support for the Apple Silicon initially with the M1 SoC...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's really sad the only desktop arm offering with a power that makes it usable from day to day comes from Apple and can't run any Linux distro until it gets reverse enginered

Comment

What I find sad is that anyone would want to run such a half-baked OS (Linux) when they could be running OSX. since Windows is not available on M1.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
        What I find sad is that anyone would want to run such a half-baked OS (Linux) when they could be running OSX. since Windows is not available on M1.
        I'd prefer to run a half-baked OS like Linux instead of having the OS vendor randomly make my OS stop working. It was a malfunction, true... this time.

Also Apple rebranded the OS to "macOS" in 2016

Comment

I mean, macOS barely works even on the hardware Apple sells. When I have to open macOS to build an iOS app, each day there's a roughly 50% chance of running into a macOS bug that causes data loss or freezing. I think it's more stable if you don't touch any configuration options, but then it's really frustrating for me to use.

I have a six year old Archlinux installation on my main workstation that I've moved between three computers, and I experience some sort of malfunction maybe once a month at most. Furthermore, because I use my own simple window manager that I forked in 2013, I haven't had to relearn anything over the period.
          Last edited by microcode; 15 August 2021, 12:44 AM.

Comment

Freedom!
            If Apple was interested in selling more computers they would help the linux porters.
            They won't do that becouse they somehow make money by imprisoning people behind their walls instead.

Comment

really cool what hey are doing! sniffing the commands sent to apple silicon thanks to virtualization!

much of the apple driver is in the DCP firmware. this saves them from reverse engineering the entire driver. one day we will see great linux support for M1. if not the devs had lots of fun anyways!

Comment

Yeah, a half-baked OS that runs 90% of the world.
                Servers and most smartphones.

Running Linux on M1 opens the door to a powerful and power-saving ARM small server.

Comment

cool! Dreaming about installing Linux on my M1. Idk what people think but for me linux is just better os than the one developed by apple...

Comment

It will be interesting comparing M1 progress with Nvidia. I'm betting Apple don't really care if Linux supports their stuff or not.

It would be ironic if there's ok 3D support for M1 in a couple of years, while Nouveau still don't have those signed firmware files Nvidia said they would ship.

Comment

Working...
                    X