No announcement yet.

Thunderbird 91 Released With Big Improvements For This Open-Source Mail Client

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thunderbird 91 Released With Big Improvements For This Open-Source Mail Client

Phoronix: Thunderbird 91 Released With Big Improvements For This Open-Source Mail Client

Thunderbird 91 is now available as the first major update in a year for this Mozilla mail client that is succeeding the Thunderbird 78 series...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The most bizarre version jumps in history:

- Microsoft Word 2.0 -> 6.0
    - Slackware 4 -> 7
    - openSUSE Leap 13 -> 42 -> 15
    - Thunderbird 78 -> 91

Comment

This whole Firefox/Thunderbird thing has became uncontrollably bloated.
      It takes considerable resources for simple functionality, and yet it readily fails at thing as simple as profile migration, import/export, data rescue etc.
      Why do I need all that bloat just to receive a friggin email ?

I switched to claws for mail.

Comment

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post
        This whole Firefox/Thunderbird thing has became uncontrollably bloated.
        It takes considerable resources for simple functionality, and yet it readily fails at thing as simple as profile migration, import/export, data rescue etc.

I totally agree!
        Somehow Thunderbird hasn't managed to keep up with the times...
        I just use the email provider's own interface, which tends to work better than a separate dedicated application.

Wait wait, I just noticed something in the screenshot...

Is it me or is that title bar empty?
        What's the point of having an empty title bar when the tabs and buttons could be moved to the top?! Unnecessary waste of space!
        Last edited by tildearrow; 11 August 2021, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Still looks as ugly as it originally was 10 years ago

Even Microsoft's Outlook.com web client looks so much better and more modern than the 'straight-out-of-the-nineties' GUI Thunderbird has.

Thanks but no thanks.

Comment

because it supports complex HTML email, which is most every machine-to-person email, not to mention the other non-email features like calendars

according to distro package manager, if i add the optional webkit lib for claws, the total size ('bloat') is nearly the same as thunderbird's, but with many more dependent packages

the issue is xulrunner didnt become a standard lib for both FF+TB and/or TB doesnt optionally spawn FF processes for those that only use email for plain text

Comment

Originally posted by kn00tcn View Post

because it supports complex HTML email, which is most every machine-to-person email, not to mention the other non-email features like calendars

according to distro package manager, if i add the optional webkit lib for claws, the total size ('bloat') is nearly the same as thunderbird's, but with many more dependent packages
              So don't do it. Use what you need. I don't expect blowjob when I go for groceries etc. E-mail is meant for message passing, not friggin multimedia experience.
              It's in its name: e-mail. Electronic form of physical letters, packages etc. Had you tried to send conventional mail with "non-mail features" that might or not f**k-up recipient and his premises, governmrnt would send a swat team after you and with a good reason.

the issue is xulrunner didnt become a standard lib for both FF+TB and/or TB doesnt optionally spawn FF processes for those that only use email for plain text
              Claws has an option for _light_ HTML. Anythign more than taht should't be directly opened as e-mail anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by kn00tcn View Post
                I'd love to see what would be left of those "features" if govenrment would force producers to vouch for the product.
                So, when some security exploit crops up and someone gets owned that he he'd have great chance of suing theirs ass for the damage.

That would force the m to stop implementing bazillion features over their di*ks and do the fine job on features that really ARE needed.
                I need an e-mail to send or receive mail. Not to massage my eyeballs with irrelevant fluff.

I can't recall ever receiving an e-mail with useful content that had benefited from complex or "live(JS)" HTML that needed browser support.
                I don't to hear anything "ticking" in the mail I get.

Comment

So don't do it. Use what you need. I don't expect blowjob when I go for groceries etc.
                  Da fuck?

E-mail is meant for message passing, not friggin multimedia experience.
                  It's in its name: e-mail. Electronic form of physical letters, packages etc. Had you tried to send conventional mail with "non-mail features" that might or not f**k-up recipient and his premises, governmrnt would send a swat team after you and with a good reason.

Claws has an option for _light_ HTML. Anythign more than taht should't be directly opened as e-mail anyway.
                  This whole post is terrible. You don't choose what others send to you. If you get an email and your client lacks the support for the code within the email then the email shows up in a broken way.

It's in its name: e-mail. Electronic form of physical letters, packages etc.
                  Packages can be literally anything. TV, computer, sex doll, exercise equipment, seeds, fleshlight, sex doll, sewing machine, fabric, books, movies, sex doll, posters, lamps, pillows, EVEN SEX DOLLS!! The point you were trying to make by comparing e-mail to physical mail would be more applicable if you also believed "I you can't fit it in an envelope, then it shouldn't be mail.".

"Color ink is fine though. That can be considered mail."

Comment

That would force the m to stop implementing bazillion features over their di*ks and do the fine job on features that really ARE needed.
                    I need an e-mail to send or receive mail. Not to massage my eyeballs with irrelevant fluff.
                    Wut???

Comment

Working...
                    X