Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.14 Drops Old DEC Alpha-Specific Binary Loader Used For x86 Binary Emulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.14 Drops Old DEC Alpha-Specific Binary Loader Used For x86 Binary Emulation

Phoronix: Linux 5.14 Drops Old DEC Alpha-Specific Binary Loader Used For x86 Binary Emulation

As a weekend blast from the past, the Linux 5.14 kernel saw some Alpha CPU architecture updates -- including various fixes and the removal of an Alpha-specific binary loader for running a decades dated x86 software emulator...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What do you mean I can't run x86 Chrome on my 21364?!?!?

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
      Not that Chrome supports 32-bit on Linux these days.

Comment

very DECadent indeed,
        what a company
        what an era

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
          very DECadent indeed,
          what a company
          what an era
          Amen to that, it was an amazing time indeed. I used to install and service these machines, including the big 32-socket GS320 "Wildfire". 64-bit CPUs in 32 sockets with 256 GB of memory was quite a feat 20 years ago. Had an equally impressive price tag, as the only other machines in that league came from SGI and Cray.

I still have an XP1000 in my basement, a parting gift from my manager when I left Compaq in 2002.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
            The NSA will figure out a way to make it happen. They wouldn't want to lose access to your browsing data through their backdoors into Google's key-logging spyware that masquerades as a web browser.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

The NSA will figure out a way to make it happen. They wouldn't want to lose access to your browsing data through their backdoors into Google's key-logging spyware that masquerades as a web browser.
              Oh the amusing irony of that request.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                Amen to that, it was an amazing time indeed. I used to install and service these machines, including the big 32-socket GS320 "Wildfire". 64-bit CPUs in 32 sockets with 256 GB of memory was quite a feat 20 years ago. Had an equally impressive price tag, as the only other machines in that league came from SGI and Cray.

I still have an XP1000 in my basement, a parting gift from my manager when I left Compaq in 2002.
                I wish I was born 10-20 years ago... These things have a charm that will not be equaled by any future products...
                Back when there were a lot of computer architectures... x86, Alpha, ARM, 68000, MIPS, SuperH... and a lot of operating systems... All the Unix ones (UnixWare, Solaris, HP-UX, BSD, AIX, NeXTSTEP and Linux and Minix (Unix-like)), Windows (both DOS and NT), NetWare, Mac OS, BeOS, AmigaOS, z/OS, OS/2, VMS...

Today it's just three - Windows, macOS and Linux... and two - iOS and Android in mobile sector...
                Last edited by tildearrow; 31 July 2021, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

I wish I was born 10-20 years ago... These things have a charm that will not be equaled by any future products...
                  You aren't 10 years old yet? Seems a bit odd. Is Michael employing child labor to do his site editing tasks?

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

You aren't 10 years old yet? Seems a bit odd. Is Michael employing child labor to do his site editing tasks?
                    I was born just one year before 2000, silly.

Comment

Working...
                    X