Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux's FWUPD Expands Poly High-End Web Camera Support

Phoronix: Linux's FWUPD Expands Poly High-End Web Camera Support

For those looking to purchase a high-end Linux-friendly web camera for your home office or other environment, there are a few more options now compatible with Linux's fwupd if interested in having the capability of updating the camera firmware under Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Webcams are just sad, many are something like 720p at 24 fps only, if even that, at like 0.3 megapixel.
    Most smartphones have front cameras that are way superior, with like 1080p or even 4K at 60 fps and 16 megapixel.
    Last edited by uid313; 31 July 2021, 07:06 AM.

Comment

Couldn't see anything about what image sensor the Poly P5 has. My advice would be either to make sure you're getting one of the new generation with a Sony Starvis sensor, or build your own Pi HQ Cam.

I suspect this is problem some ancient sensor repackaged for the business market.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Webcams are just sad, many are something like 720p at 24 fps only, if even that, at like 0.3 megapixel.
        Most smartphones have front cameras that are way superior, with like 1080p or even 4K at 60 fps and 16 megapixel.
        I did not use but came across software on android that allows to broadcast video to linux.
        Broadcast as in allowing accessing device or smth like that.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          The software that uses them is even sadder. Even if you have 1080p or 4K camera, most videoconferencing software will use just 360p. You can have latest GoPro or nice DSLR with hdmi capture card, and your colleagues or whoever you talk to will get 360p.

So why bother with better hardware then?

Comment

Originally posted by lu_tze View Post

The software that uses them is even sadder. Even if you have 1080p or 4K camera, most videoconferencing software will use just 360p. You can have latest GoPro or nice DSLR with hdmi capture card, and your colleagues or whoever you talk to will get 360p.

So why bother with better hardware then?
            Plenty of uses. One that comes to mind, I wanna do 4k youtube brodcasts or simply record myself doing something.(perhaps I am WebThot? )

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post

Plenty of uses. One that comes to mind, I wanna do 4k youtube brodcasts or simply record myself doing something.(perhaps I am WebThot? )
              If you are a webthot , use a decent camera, like Panasonic GH5 or Sony Alpha A7 III. Of course, with a decent lighting. Your fans will appreciate that. Forget webcams then.

Comment

If you are a webthot , use a decent camera, like Panasonic GH5 or Sony Alpha A7 III. Of course, with a decent lighting. Your fans will appreciate that. Forget webcams then.
                The whole shtick is that show is supposed to be 'realtime'?

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post

The whole shtick is that show is supposed to be 'realtime'?
                  They both do have realtime HDMI out. With 10-bit depth, even. Of course, you also need HDMI input on your computer. But that's a small price for a quality picture, right?

Comment

They both do have realtime HDMI out. With 10-bit depth, even. Of course, you also need HDMI input on your computer. But that's a small price for a quality picture, right?
                    If I am to show my privates as day job - i don't think I will know what HDMI or 10-bit depth is. Also I would need extra tripods, etc.
                    So no. Webcams are webcams for a reason.

Comment

Working...
                    X