Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linspire-Based Freespire Announces "Entirely New Direction" With Cloud Apps...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linspire-Based Freespire Announces "Entirely New Direction" With Cloud Apps...

Phoronix: Linspire-Based Freespire Announces "Entirely New Direction" With Cloud Apps...

What started off as Lindows twenty years ago as an easy-to-use Linux-based operating system with great Wine integration and easy application support but then changed to Linspire following a Microsoft lawsuit has had quite a journey. PC/OpenSystems LLC revived Linspire after a multi-year gap following the closure of Xandros and since then it's been a rather peculiar platform. Today they are now shifting focus once again...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It hasn't even been a year since I made fun of this distribution on the forums here.
    I feel like they've already gotten enough attention for a while.

Comment

Lindows, Linspire, Freespire, what is this crap. Change name, add duckduckgo and call themselves new Linux distribution. Lol
      Last edited by piorunz; 30 July 2021, 10:39 PM.

Comment

I can't believe it's still a thing. Who even uses it?!

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          I can't believe it's still a thing. Who even uses it?!
          No one, that's why they keep rebranding.

Comment

I don't think any company has made money selling Linux desktop distribution. Canonical tried for a very long time and finally scaled back their desktop efforts. There maybe a niche market for hardware vendors such as System76 for selling Linux PC's. I have never bought a Linux PC because it is just cheaper to install Ubuntu on a Windows PC.

Comment

Originally posted by Vasant1234 View Post
              I don't think any company has made money selling Linux desktop distribution. Canonical tried for a very long time and finally scaled back their desktop efforts. There maybe a niche market for hardware vendors such as System76 for selling Linux PC's. I have never bought a Linux PC because it is just cheaper to install Ubuntu on a Windows PC.
              i think system76 got it right with selling their own built linux based computers. it is nice to have a prebuilt manufacturer that builds their machines around linux from the start. you know the hardware will work.

Comment

I don't use facebook , but I wonder for how long it takes before that Start button... or should I say Fart button run into legal issues with facebook for the use of letter 'f'.
                One more thing - the 2006 design looks far more structured than the 'modern' crap - see what the world has become!

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by Snaipersky View Post

No one, that's why they keep rebranding.
                  I might say, that's their problem, but if this causes major financial losses, they should just put Freespire away and work on something better.

Also... Chrome and DuckDuckGo? That's a big NoNoGo as it seems contradictory in terms of privacy.
                  Last edited by tildearrow; 31 July 2021, 04:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vasant1234 View Post
                    They don't sell Linux distributions. They mostly sell support/warranty/quality assurance.

Comment

Working...
                    X