AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT Launching For 1080p RDNA2 Gaming At ~$379 USD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT Launching For 1080p RDNA2 Gaming At ~$379 USD

Phoronix: AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT Launching For 1080p RDNA2 Gaming At ~$379 USD

AMD just lifted the embargo on the Radeon RX 6600 XT, its newest entry in their RDNA2 line-up and optimized for delivering a superior 1080p gaming performance against the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 series. The RX 6600 XT isn't hitting retail availability until August and that is when we'll be able to publish benchmarks, but for now here is an overview of this new graphics card launching at the $379 price point.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Dammit, AMD. I already have a superb 1080p GPU -- an RX 580. It cost me 1/3 of the price of this. Charging 66% more to go from 1080p Ultra/High to 1080p Ultra is not worth it.

Comment

Come to think of it... The high end RX 480 was ~$379 in 2016...

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        Dammit, AMD. I already have a superb 1080p GPU -- an RX 580. It cost me 1/3 of the price of this. Charging 66% more to go from 1080p Ultra/High to 1080p Ultra is not worth it.
        In fairness, if you compare "clearing out" price for the older model against "launched in the middle of a global semiconductor shortage" price for the newer model the upgrade path is always going to be a tough sell.

The other challenge is that price-per-transistor from the fabs used to go down significantly with each new process generation, so GPU vendors could deliver better price performance by moving to newer fab processes. That pretty much stopped happening some time between 14nm and 7nm, so end product price is back to tracking transistor count much more than in the past. Your 580 has ~5.7B transistors IIRC while the 6600XT has 11.1B.

I haven't looked closely at benchmark performance but I suspect the price/performance of the 6600XT at launch is at least as good as the RX580 was at launch ($229 US for 8GB). What is missing is the price/performance improvements that came along for the ride with new fab processes and which became a key part of new product expectations.

The per-transistor pricing trend was already interrupted before the chip shortage hit - there may be some improvements if/when capacity is able to catch up with demand, but the cost of fabs for newer and finer processes is going up so fast that I don't see the old pricing trend returning any time soon.

We may get lucky and find another sweet spot like 14nm where the increase in density (from finer process pitch) outstrips the increase in cost (from more complex fab process and cost of building yet another fab) and allows per-transistor pricing to head down some more, but I don't think we know yet.

For your amusement:

https://www.amazon.ca/Radeon-RX-580-...eon+RX+580+8GB

I do sometimes wonder if we should port the RX580/90 to GF 12LP+ and use that to try to keep the miners fed. The problem is that mining booms never seem to last long enough to have room for a product development cycle, and spending a big pile of money during a mining bust is a tough sell even if that is exactly the strategy recommended for stock market investing.
        Last edited by bridgman; 30 July 2021, 12:21 AM.
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          Damn++ , I just bought a firepro w4100 on ebay arrive tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            was that the scalper price? AFAIK the RRP for the 4GB variant was $199 and the 8GB variant $239, but there was a massive shortage of the card due to it being great for mining.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
              When I bought mine, a 4GB model, it was around $220 retail; $100 on eBay where I bought mine from in Feb 2019. I feel lucky that I bought mine when and for the price I did.

My 580 already does 1080p60 with every game I own with mixed high/ultra and I can't tell the difference with most of my games between my mixed and ultra aside from shadows. Since I game on a 60Hz TV anything faster than 60fps doesn't matter that much. Probably true of most of us 1080p gamers -- 60FPS, no freesync. If yer cutting corners on the GPU, yer probably cutting corners on the monitor as well.

As a broke ass 1080p budget gamer rocking a $100 RX 580, this makes other options like getting a PS5 or holding out to see how DDR5 APUs perform a lot more appealing.

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post

was that the scalper price? AFAIK the RRP for the 4GB variant was $199 and the 8GB variant $239, but there was a massive shortage of the card due to it being great for mining.
                I remember, before the dark times, the rx580 was about 150 bucks and I was like nah too much. Whoops.

Comment

I need a new Radeon GPU. Not in an urgent hurry, thankfully! This looks like it might just fit the bill nicely. Wonder if I can get one before next year!

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    I do sometimes wonder if we should port the RX580/90 to GF 12LP+ and use that to try to keep the miners fed. The problem is that mining booms never seem to last long enough to have room for a product development cycle, and spending a big pile of money during a mining bust is a tough sell even if that is exactly the strategy recommended for stock market investing.
                    I'd be happy with a "680 refresh". And not just for miners, crappy ones for regular people too. I wouldn't buy a 650 or a 640, but a not-gamer would. With GPU materials as scarce as they are, bring back Polaris.

Enhanced Polaris. You can do two RX 680s instead of one 6600XT. Might not hit 1080p90+, but 1080p60 all day.

Comment

Working...
                    X