Manjaro 21.1 Bringing Enhanced Support For Btrfs, Automatic Backups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manjaro 21.1 Bringing Enhanced Support For Btrfs, Automatic Backups

Phoronix: Manjaro 21.1 Bringing Enhanced Support For Btrfs, Automatic Backups

Manjaro 21.1 is on the way as the newest release of this Arch Linux based operating system that is popular for its desktop ease of use...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

if they add btrfs snapshot rollback at boot it'd be a valid Tumbleweed alternative, maybe just lacking the extra security layer offered by SELinux/AppArmor (present respectively in Fedora and Opensuse/Ubuntu), but that's some Arch heritage I guess

Comment

Cool. A good BTRFS setup is the one thing I'm missing on my Arch box. Outside of setting some mount flags I suck at BTRFS management. I'd kill to have arch-install hook me up with Tumbleweed's setup (been months since I've looked into what arch-install can do so don't flame me too hard if it can do that now).

But back when I used Manjaro enhanced BTRFS would have been really nice to have. Kind of jealous. Being able to roll back is a feature you don't think you'll need until it's too late.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        I suck at BTRFS management.
        Thats not to hard to set up and for the most part a one-time-thing.

My problem still remains, that BTRFS is so damn slow that I cant stand it. I wish they would work on that part.

Comment

XFCE Spin? Isn't XFCE the default and therefore official edition?

Comment

I love their layout switcher extension for Gnome, makes it so much easier to customize with a few clicks

Comment

I see Manjaro being used more and more but, personally, I have some trust issues with this distro ever since the FreeOffice fiasco.

Comment

Better butter, seriously? Guess if I had to I'd use the arch installer with xfs. That said I'm still happy with arch-chroot and a downgrade script if needed.

Comment

They (and Fedora) should adopt Snapper because Timeshift is a big yikes in my personal opinion. A lot of setup weirdness, Vala and a legacy toolkit (GTK).

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
                  if they add btrfs snapshot rollback at boot it'd be a valid Tumbleweed alternative, maybe just lacking the extra security layer offered by SELinux/AppArmor (present respectively in Fedora and Opensuse/Ubuntu), but that's some Arch heritage I guess
                  Am I mistaken or didn't openSUSE and Ubuntu AppArmor profiles were severe lacking or even disabled by default? Even for browser profiles.

Comment

Originally posted by AHOY View Post
                    They (and Fedora) should adopt Snapper because Timeshift is a big yikes in my personal opinion. A lot of setup weirdness, Vala and a legacy toolkit (GTK).

Am I mistaken or didn't openSUSE and Ubuntu AppArmor profiles were severe lacking or even disabled by default? Even for browser profiles.
                    You are mistaken.

Comment

Working...
                    X