Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeRDP 2.4 Released With Support For Multi-Threaded Decoding

Phoronix: FreeRDP 2.4 Released With Support For Multi-Threaded Decoding

FreeRDP as a leading open-source implementation of the Remote Desktop Protocol is up to version 2.4 and exciting about this release is multi-threaded decoding support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

But does it work with Wayland?

Comment

Does anyone know a good tutorial on how to install and configure the server part ?
      I remember I wanted to try it in the past as a better performance alternative to X11VNC, but I failed somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        FreeRDP has excellent Wayland support. The command is called wlfreerdp.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          RDP is (like most things) beyond the scope of Wayland. It is up to all the many (... perhaps one day) individual compositors to write their own duplicated version of an RDP server.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

RDP is (like most things) beyond the scope of Wayland. It is up to all the many (... perhaps one day) individual compositors to write their own duplicated version of an RDP server.
            Pipewire.

Comment

just tried it's server and it works very well with my Chromebook client.Even with lower bandwith.
              Just my keyboard is ignored completely.

Comment

Does anybody know how this compares to solutions based on vnc concerning latency ?

Comment

Originally posted by remenic View Post

Pipewire.
                  Yep. Along with VNC, a good example of a generic streaming technology. Performance will never be great.

Originally posted by Mordrag View Post
                  Does anybody know how this compares to solutions based on vnc concerning latency ?
                  In my tests, it does beat VNC considerably. VNC, Pipewire, etc only sends across a raster whereas the Windows GUI system since Windows NT 4.0 TSE (actually Microsoft's WinFrame originally developed by Citrix) has contextual knowledge of many GUI objects (only uses a raster for custom drawing events). It certainly makes the client more complex but it does end up with quite an effective result. This Windows centric tech does well here*.

However keep in mind that the GUI system has to be network aware. So you can't just run a Javax.swing, Qt or Gtk program on Windows and expect to benefit. However something like wxWidgets works because it wraps the underlying Win32 toolkit.

* of course they are undermining their own system by adding pointless tacky zoomy fade effects for kids.
                  Last edited by kpedersen; 28 July 2021, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                    * of course they are undermining their own system by adding pointless tacky zoomy fade effects for kids.
                    One of the first things I do on a clean Windows install (have been doing for years) is turn off via:

Windows Settings -> Ease of Access -> Show animations in Windows (set to on as default)

Used to have to do in the Control Panel, but this is exposed here as well. I agree the "zoomy" effects are annoying, actually a visual distraction.

Comment

Working...
                    X